I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP and epoxy adhesion
Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 11:38PM

Here is my question. I am building a saltwater rod and would like to use regular thread. I will need to use CP to keep the color of the thread. With this rod i will be using some larger guides and want to make sure the epoxy saturates the thread. What impact will CP have on how well the epoxy penetrates and over all strength of the wrap compared to not using CP?

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP and epoxy adhesion
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 01:03AM

There is not real difference between the strength of thread wraps with or without CP, in fact a CP only saturated guide is about as good as an epoxied one as far as strength. Perma Gloss has the penetration, adhesion quality and toughness you may want and you can epoxy over it.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: December 21, 2012 02:45AM

Kevin, In tests with epoxy only and CP covered with epoxy, the former is found to be slightly stronger. However in either case the guide is destroyed before it breaks loose from the rod. I cannot think of a fish that could do that damage. I think you are more likely to step on your rod and break the guide before you lose the guide from fishing.

If you want to retain your colors you will need to use CP. The use of either epoxy or Permagloss alone will darken the threads and make them slightly translucence. Colors like red, green, and blue will appear almost black (at least in my tests).
Mike Blomme

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns15.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 21, 2012 06:32AM

Hi Kevin ,
I use madeira for all my builds and need to use cp. I had to strip one last year due to a problem and the epoxy adhesion was fine on all the guide wraps. I've always used cp no mattter what type of thread. From some I stripped a couple of years back I found the epoxy penetration was at least as good as those rods with just epoxy over ncp thread. I've never had an issue with guide strength on any rods that I've built. One thing I did find was that guidewraps with an underbinding had better epoxy adhesion than those without. Epoxy doesn't adhere to shiny blank surfaces all that well but it adheres much better to an underbinding whether or not it has been coated with cp.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 09:34AM

I'm wondering how long the finish over the CP will last. Will it want to chip off several years down the road.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 10:03AM

No
I have redone many rods older ones from casting to spiral And some the finish was very hard to get off

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2012 02:36PM

The whole point of CP is to prevent epoxy from penetrating the thread. Otherwise the thread will turn semi-transparent and darken considerably.

CP does not hard adhesion of the epoxy, but it will prevent the epoxy from soaking into the thread. The CP fills that role.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster