I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

adding 2 or 3 inches to rod butt?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 08:34AM

I been searching on how to lengthen rod at the butt, but to no avail, can anyone give me any suggestions on the way to do this, I am stuck! Thanks to all who can help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: adding 2 or 3 inches to rod butt?
Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.082.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 20, 2012 08:48AM

You can use a carbon tube mudhole have them in 16mm in thier crb handle section they also have 1 inch versions. Matagi have really nice tubes in 13 & 15 mm.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 10:05AM

There is a good article in the Library on extending rod blanks. If you don't find what you seek there, then let us know if you have specific questions.

Terry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 11:44AM

Lorenzo,
Simple,
Either take another rod blank and slip it up the inside of the blank and let it underlap by about 4-5 inches, or take another blank and let it overlap by 4 -5 inches.

If worried about strength - do the overlap , because the diameter of the blank will be larger on the extension.
Normally, on a short extension - strength is not an issue so an inner sleeve will work fine.

p.s.
Just find another blank - new or used that has the right taper to make the necessary fit.

Rough up the both blanks for good glue adhesion and any epoxy will glue it up nicely.

p.p.s.
If you want the extension to be the same diameter as the current blank, then find a blank that matches the current blank taper, and then insert another blank section up the inside of the extension and the new blank. Glue them together, and you will be good to go.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 02:01PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I do have lots of broken rod blanks, Thanks Rodger, I think I'll go with yours, it will put to use one of those broken blanks I got. Have a good one!

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 08:51AM

times 2 on the method roger described. I prefer 6'8" rods for alot of my fishing and have extended a number of rods 2" by sliding inside the rod butt. There is a formula for how much needs to go inside the blank, 6 times the O.D. of the rod butt should go inside, works for bass rods with short extensions atleast. On a longer extension or heavier powered blanks, I'd probably opt for the over sleeve method with more overlap.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 08:51AM

times 2 on the method roger described. I prefer 6'8" rods for alot of my fishing and have extended a number of rods 2" by sliding inside the rod butt. There is a formula for how much needs to go inside the blank, 6 times the O.D. of the rod butt should go inside, works for bass rods with short extensions atleast. On a longer extension or heavier powered blanks, I'd probably opt for the over sleeve method with more overlap.

Posted by: Arthur Wamback (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 07:50AM

6061 aluminum tubing works well for an oversleeve in my opinion. Once you figure out the I.D., wall thickness, and corresponding O.D of the tubing, you can get a pretty close fit to the rod blank and size your grip material accordingly. I use the method outlined in Clemen's book.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster