I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Inletting
Posted by: Teague Parker (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 12:50AM

I've been using a Dremel tool to inlet or increase inlet opening for reel seats. Surely you must have some better suggestions. :)

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Inletting
Posted by: Greg LaPolla (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 01:31AM

Look here [www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2012 07:16AM

Great item, use it all the time.

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 20, 2012 08:35AM

Get a Crafty's Cutter. They are a great item.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 09:38AM

My REC fly reel seat hoods are .93". So I took a 15/16"th hole saw and ground off part of the outside off-set teeth. It makes a much cleaner cut than "the cutter". I then use a 3/4" and then a 1/2" hole saw to cut the hole bigger. Reamer takes care of the rest.
Herb

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 10:01AM

Someone posted a Flexcoat video recently on modifying spade bits to getting the correct size needed for inlets. this was used with a drill press but could be adapted to a lathe as well. I'm too lazy to look it up but I know I saw it in the last week or so. :-) I looked on the Flex Coat site but didn't see that particular video. If I implement this for the lathe, I'll post some pictures.

Terry

Posted by: Teague Parker (204.201.224.---)
Date: December 20, 2012 12:50PM

I've tried to buy the Crafty's Cutter from both MudHole and Dan Crafts site but it seems to be perennially on backorder. My other sources don't carry the product. Anybody out there have them?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 01:40PM

I have always reamed the cork to fit the round top of the hood to a snug fit, and then used a half round file to shape for the portion of the hood that holds the reel foot. Has always worked well for me.

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.coastalsystemsint.com)
Date: December 20, 2012 04:11PM

I have a Crafty's Cutter on backorder from Mudhole and they e-mailed me that they will be going out the first week of Jan. In the past, I have used a Dremer tool to carve out the hood of the reel seat. Works good, but takes time and patience.

Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.tex.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 08:03PM

I use the lathe and after the cork has dried after glueing, I leave the cork on the mandrel and push about 1/2" off the end of the mandrel and place a Forsner bit into the tail stock and slowly bring the bit into the turning cork. When bit has bottomed out, I pull another 1/2" off the end and complete the hole. Perfectly centered and clean, then push the cork grip back up the mandrel towards the headstock and place other end into the tail stock and finish the grip. Entire process takes ~ 10 minutes.

Pat B.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 08:11PM

If you do any wood grips, it is my understanding that this cutter will not work on wood. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 09:07AM

I use this and then hit the inside with a dremel to get the final fit

[www.pennstateind.com]

Posted by: rick humphrey (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 09:04PM

I use Forstener bits in my drill press. I just caliper the reel seat, match up with the appropriate bit, and go to it. Very easy and does a clean job.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster