I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

alcahol and finish
Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 11:04AM

Can you clean the rod with alcahol between coats of finish? I ask this because when i put on second coat there
was a spot that seemd to repel the finish.I had to keep putting on globs of finish
and wicking them off.I had to do it at least 10 times.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: alcohol and finish
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 12:07PM

I don't think alcohol will expel the finish, it must be contamination of some sort, you might need to try to clean the wrap before the next coat, but I would make sure the epoxy on wrap is not sticky, or it might make a mess, I am sure you will get more responses, I'm just a beginner, but I know by experience the alcohol won't expel the finish.have a good one.

Re: alcahol and finish
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 01:14PM

Paul,
Really really bad idea to put any kind of liquid on a finish between coats.
If you have a spot that is repelling finish, you are much better off using scuff coat, or 600 sand paper to scuff up the spot. Then, tack off the spot with blue low tack masking tape.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: December 17, 2012 01:56PM

I agree with roger. Since i stopped using alcohol to clean between coats, I no longer have a fish eye problem. If I feel the need to scuff between coats, I use a blue scotch brite pad (for sale at the supermarket) that doesn't leave visible scratches. I then use a tack cloth to remove the residue, which is really slight with the blue pad. I stopped using blue tape, because I found some of the tackiness to leave a residue.

I use a heat gun (held about a foot away and swept from side to side) for the first few minutes and voila, no bubbles.

Date: December 17, 2012 03:00PM

Thanks for the tips, I did finaly get it to stick.I thought it might be oil from my hands.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 03:22PM

Why would any one clean between coats ???
if any dust just Brush it with a soft brush and recoat Any Bo Bo's scoff with a fine pad or 320 - 400 dry paper and recoat
if you are getting a lot of dust Before you clear -- spray the area with a spray bottle and water to help keep dust down

I MAY just whip with a dry paper towel

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 04:56PM

Alcohol is not pure, there are additives, don't use it on epoxy, it only creates problems.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 07:08PM

I have never had a problem applying finish to a blank that has been cleaned with Iso. It's one of the steps needed to remove excess adhesive when using the Pulsar dry transfer decal system. Others on the board do the same thing.

Date: December 17, 2012 07:42PM

That might be my problem i just checked the rod and there are like pits in the finish along the edge of a decal.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 09:10PM

The Pulsar system uses Sulky KK2000 spray adhesive to apply a dry transfer decal. You wouldn't have to remove adhesive with water slide or peel & stick decals.

Date: December 17, 2012 09:36PM

I didnt spray anthing on the rod this decal came with my MHX blank it shows length,action,etc.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2012 11:55AM

With peel and stick decals, it's always best to coat with Krylon fixative or CP prior to finishing. I always had issues around the label edges with fish eyes and wavy finish before I started the pre-coat with CP or Krylon. You can fix by buffing and recoating as suggested.

Terry

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 18, 2012 01:03PM

Thanks Terry i will try the cp on next build. I already buffed it and recoated it seems to be working.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster