I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sanding down polymer that's too thick?
Posted by: John Segal (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: December 15, 2012 11:59PM

Has anyone had success in correcting "football" shaped coatings? Several of my small snake guide wraps looked okay when I left the fly rod to turn, but they ended up setting up too thick in the middle, like footballs. All I can think of is to sand down the thick middle sections, then apply a thin top coat. I use Flex Coat Lite.

Will this work? I am concerned that the new coat may not level out, across the probable uneven sanding.

Thanks a lot in advance,
John

P.S. I am a perfectionist. Likely not too many others would be bothered by the footballs! But the rod is a Christmas gift, and I want it to look as good as if it came from Santa himself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sanding down polymer that's too thick?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 16, 2012 12:44AM

You can sand them,being careful not to scuff the thread. You can also shave them with a razor blade, again being careful. After yoiu get them into the shape you want, a very lite coat of epoxy will cover up your repair efforts.

Date: December 16, 2012 01:32AM

Thanks very much, Phil. I think I'll use sandpaper (wrapped around a popsicle stick), as I'd be afraid of a blade going a bit too deep. I'm not a surgeon! But I've lots of experience with sanding. Wish me luck!

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2012 07:59AM

John,Thats what i do when i get them football shaped epoxy jobs, one thing I learned to watch out for is the edges of the football, it is thinner then the middle do when you get down the epoxy a bit you have to watch out for the edges, the thread can be easily scuffed and ruined it happened to me a couple of times, when I get down that far I turn the popsickle stick on it side and carefully sand just the middle so i won't scuff the edges, I hope you understand what I am trying to say, Good luck and tight wraps.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.137.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: December 16, 2012 09:57AM

I think a perfectionist would remove the guides and re-wrap. Put your finish on in thin coats, don't worry if it doesn't completly cover on the first coat because the next thin coat/coats will, and you will avoid those footballs which look ugly especially on fly rods/light rods.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2012 10:10AM by Steve Mcleod.

Date: December 16, 2012 10:53AM

Thanks for the good suggestions, Lorenzo and Steve.

Lorenzo, I understand exactly what you wrote.

Steve, I'm not sure why I did not notice that I put too much polymer on the 3 wraps that are footballs. My technique has worked well in the past, which is a thin first coat, just soaking the wraps, and none over the thread edges, followed by a second coat, which also seals the edges. For that, I use a very thin, metal knitting needle, held against the thread edges.

I will try sanding and recoating, and if that doesn't work, I will re-wrap the guides.

I appreciate everyone's help. Merry Christmas!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2012 07:49PM

John,
I carefully monitor all of the guides and butt wraps for the first 30 minutes while the rod is on the dryer.
Every now and then, I will see some foot balls develop after 10 minutes or so, which result from a slight movement of the finish that was applied a touch too much.

If this happens, I grab the heat gun, hit the foot ball on the finish with a bit of heat, until the finish flows and dab off the excess finish.

I let it turn for another few minutes to be sure that the guide finish is perfect and then move on.

Be safe
Roger

Date: December 17, 2012 12:10AM

Roger, thanks very much for that tip. I usually do that, but I guess I wasn't careful enough this time.

Thanks everyone. The repair worked out just dandy today!

I cut thin strips of sandpaper, to fit over a thin, wooden stir stick, and began timidly with 400 grit paper, but soon found out that would take a month of Sundays and then some. I went lower and lower, until I found that I was comfortable with 120, then worked back up through 220, 320, to 400. I worked slowly, giving the rod a slight rotation with each swipe of the sandpaper, to avoid flats. I finished off with a tiny piece of grey Scotchbrite pad, which smoothed out the sandpaper marks nicely.

I was going to mask off the blank, but forgot, and it was okay. I work well with detail work, having once been a jeweller.

After the sanding, I used 99% isopropanol to clean up the dust, and that gave me the reminder that it takes 3 days for polymer to cure. Yup, it softened the surface, and the cleaning rag fibres stuck to it! I let it dry well, then smoothed it over again with 400 grit, then Scotchbrite, then used good old water to wipe down. Looked great, so went ahead then with the new top coat of polymer.

I used one of the brushes that Flex Coat provides in their kits, to apply an extremely thin top coat of polymer, and that worked perfectly.

I had thought, briefly, of cutting the wraps off, and re-doing completely. But I've built less than a dozen rods, so my results still depend more on luck than skill, so chances would have been that the re-do might have been just as bad, or worse.

Thanks again for the help, and Merry Christmas!

Date: December 17, 2012 12:13AM

edit: double post error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2012 12:14AM by John Segal.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 11:10AM

Just curious.....is the 2 part epoxy a "polymer" or a "monomer"?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster