I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

changing the power
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 15, 2012 11:55AM

Have a Batson SUR1204F 10ft. If I was to add just 6or 8 inches to the butt would that change the the power of the rod that much?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: changing the power
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2012 02:28PM

In theory it would add a little, but much of that depends on the material used and integrity of the assembly you create. Is your goal to lengthen the rod or to add more power?

Date: December 15, 2012 02:42PM

both

Date: December 15, 2012 02:44PM

It's not a good way to increase power unless you're very well versed in how to select and join the sections. Even then, I'd tell you to just get a more powerful blank.

Date: December 15, 2012 02:49PM

can you steer me to some info I can read?

Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (174.141.213.---)
Date: December 15, 2012 03:50PM

Id be interested in how you plan on extending. There is a St Croix musky rod out there I really like the blank on but it is 8'6 and I want atleast 9'. If the only proper way is to oversleeve and being that I want a split grip, it would put the transition in the exposed area of the grip. If I undersleeve I could make it work but Im not really keen on sacrificing integrity if that be the case. My whole mission was to stay with the lightest possible blank fitting my needs, so how much would a thicker oversleeve or undersleeve be.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2012 04:21PM

I don't think you will change the "power" of the blank. What you will do is extend the lever arm (you will put the "power" in) thereby allowing the blank to flex deeper down. Looked at another way - similar to a see-saw in a park. Extending the butt end puts the reel seat (fulcrum) down lower (lengthening the lever)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2012 04:23PM by Ken Preston.

Date: December 15, 2012 04:41PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 15, 2012 05:43PM

Maryann,
If you’ll unhide your email address, I’ll send you a chart on the “Effects of Trimming/Extending Blanks” by Cliff Hall. I think it’s also in the photo section somewhere.
I frequently cut from the tip end and gain considerable power (at the expense of slowing the action). If you’re going to extend the blank, which also adds some power and gives faster action, you can also trim an inch or two off the tip to further increase the power. By doing so, you’ll lose some of the speed that you picked up by the extension. I’d strongly suggest measuring the power and action using CCS or RDA procedures before the actual cuts are made.
I trimmed 3 rods recently (one -2” tip, one -1.75 tip and another - 2.5” tip) and saw a power increase of 20%, 12% and 21% respectively. The action (A/A) slowed 3%, 3% and 5% respectively. The amount of increase/decrease is of course dependent on several factors. I should clarify that the increase/decrease in power and action was measured with the blank length staying the same. I.E. The blanks overall lengths were not shortened because I cut the OAL length after I trim the tips (I start with longer blanks than what I need).

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 15, 2012 07:11PM

Not to thread steal too much here....but do you think the graphite/texalium tubes (that are being sold for handles) would be strong enough for a extending rods? I wouldn't be going over 15-20# class.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: December 15, 2012 07:20PM

Jim -
Can you please send that to me also? I found one brief chart on Rodbuildingtutorials put together by Ray Adams. Is that the same one you're referring to or is there a more detailed chart?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2012 07:24PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 15, 2012 07:32PM

Russell: here is hoping it works because i just stretched a 9 ft 2 piece to 10 ft and chnage using a 14 inch one of those tubes.
4 inch overlap all inside the reelseat at 13 inches from the butt.
It took two oversleeves to get the .52 of the original up to 1 inch.
It added extra weight(lots but its in the grip so maybe OK) but i am 99% sure it is strong enough.
Why do it?
I am trying to get a steelhead blank to softly present a live inside of an oyster to sheephead: cannot cast that slime have to drop it on their heads..
If there was an affordable 10 ft 2 piece for that technigue i would have bought it, it has to be lighter than what i did.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2012 08:12PM

Dennis,
This extension is a very simple thing to do.
Just make the total length of your oversleeve such that the end of the oversleeve comes to the top of the reel seat. That way, any portion of an exposed blank would be just exposure of the oversleeve and there would be no visible joint.

Then, give yourself about a 6 inch overlap between the original blank, and the oversleeve blank. Basically select an oversleeve blank that is about the same thickness as the original blank, and you would be sure that you would have sufficient strength.

It might be a bit difficult to come up with the exact oversleeve needed to get a nice match on size and taper. But if you can match the size and taper, you can easily accommodate both your extension and split grip with a minimum weight build up.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 15, 2012 08:46PM

Ken,

It’s the same chart that’s on the rodbuilders tutorial site. It’s pretty general, but there’s so many variables that it’d be hard to be more definitive.

Date: December 15, 2012 09:09PM

Thanks Jim. I was wondering if it had been expanded at all ... As you said - way too many variables.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 15, 2012 10:06PM

Stick a scrap piece of blank into the rod butt Tape some guides on and test itr to see if it Performs as you want it

6-8" you can probably stick inside the rod butt as long as you clean and prep the mating sections well so they glue together well Any thing longer may need a oversleve depending on how heavy the use is and fish after

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster