I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tru oil?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2012 01:35PM

I searched the topic on tru oil, but I did not find the answer I was looking for, ? is on extra coats will it make the cork darker? Its probably a an easier answer then I think, but if anyone can give me an answer I will appreciated it, Have a good one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tru oil?
Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: December 14, 2012 02:21PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:40PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.204.---)
Date: December 14, 2012 04:00PM

Tru Oil started as an oil finish for gunstocks, or at least that was its major use for a long time. As a gunstock finish, it provides penetration and protection with the first coat. If one keeps adding coats it will build up a "coating" above the surface of the wood, or cork. The nature of the surface with multiple coats will be different than that for just one coat. I use just one coat on cork so as to retain the surface characteristics of the cork, but with added protection against soiling and water damage. It, with one coat, significantly darkens the cork and brings out its "character" making for a richer look for the cork. It is especially nice on burl cork, IMHO.

I'd do an experiment before I would commit to multiple coats.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2012 04:34PM

I have not used it - Yet - I use thread finish which gives the cork a golden color or tone one good coat let dry well Fine sand Then a very thin wet coat let that dry Then go over with 0000 steal wool to take off the shine
Very nice for me

Any type of coating put on cork will give it a harder fell

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2012 04:38PM

The first coat effects the color some, and as mentioned above really brings out the character of composite cork. Additional coats have little further effect on color, but does effect the feel of the grip.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2012 05:34PM

Thanks, I jsut put teh 2nd coat, now i am wondering if I should of or not, I plan to buff it it up with wet n dry sand paper, from 1500, up to 5000, I read that thats what gives it a smooth shinier look, I am open to any comments on this plan of mine thyanks agian!

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2012 06:31PM

I use at least 2 coats when I want that Tru-oil look. I have used up to 6 coats before on a fly rod grip. It eventually makes a glossy look, but does not cause the grip to be slick. With two coats it won't be that glossy but it will darken the cork somewhat. It is an excellent sealer. You will be fine with two coats.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Rob Savino (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2012 07:09PM

To get a really nice mirror finish, keep adding coats and sand between each coat with a fine sandpaper, when the finish is hard sand smooth. Keep doing this until all go the crevices are filled. The final coat I use true oil spray and leave it. Buff it when it's dry.

Boston, MA

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.145.---)
Date: December 15, 2012 02:50PM

Lorenzo, what you are doing is very much like the process for gunstocks. By the way, I had to put regular epoxy on the butt cork of a rod a few years ago, very glossy, and it still looks like new and has not shown any separation from the cork.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 15, 2012 11:02PM

If you put tru-oil on before mounting the grip on the rod will it affect the epoxy's bond with the blank.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 16, 2012 10:32PM

No it will not effect the grip adhering to the rod as the Tru-Oil does not penetrate the cork. Cork is a closed cell structure and does not absorb liquids.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 16, 2012 11:15PM

Ok thanks

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 03:40PM

If you are unsure Give it a Light Reaming

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster