I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glue removal method
Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: December 14, 2012 08:23AM

I am currently rebuilding an old Ugly Stik surf rod. The reel seat will be retained but the grips are off the rod. What is the best method for removing old, dried adhesive from the handle section of the blank. I don't know for sure what type of glue it is (looks like epoxy), and is as hard as a rock. I have done this on a few rods before by scraping, heating, grinding, etc. but it took forever. Just looking for a faster method if any exists. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glue removal method
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2012 09:29AM

Why romove it? Just instal another grip right on top of it.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2012 10:53AM

Billy's right, just sand it so that it's relatively level and glue up over it. No need to remove it all to get a good bond. Make sure it is prepared like you would a rod surface by sanding, and you do want it to be relatively level to help ensure good epoxy distribution but it's no problem to do it this way.

Terry

Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: December 14, 2012 12:49PM

I would do that, but the way the glue was applied, it doesn't cover the entire blank. Approximately 50% of the area that should be covered by adhesive is not, showing the bare blank. And the bare areas are all over the place, not uniformly distributed.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2012 01:31PM

John,
If you really feel the need to get the glue down further to make a semi level surface use a drill, a belt sander with 80 grit paper on the belt and another person to hold the end of the rod.

Take a solid piece of blank, or dowel and taper it on the belt sander, so that it will fit nicely up the inside of the rod blank.

Then, using a variable speed drill, chuck the blank, or dowel into the drill and then insert the dowel or tapered blank, into the butt of the rod. If you can't get a blank or dowel big enough to nicely fit into the butt of the blank , just use masking tape to build up the blank or dowel until the fit is nice and firm into the butt of the blank.

Then, with the other person holding the rest of the blank, so that it doesn't whip, simply set the direction of the drill so that the blank will spin against the direction of the rotating sanding belt on the belt sander.

Then, just slowly start the blank spinning and move the spinning blank up to the spinning sanding belt. Use a very gentle touch. All that you want to do is to remove most of the glue, without removing any of the graphite blank.

Generally, somewhere between 20 seconds and a minute or two is all that is required to grind off the old glue down to the bare blank.

Wipe down the blank, and proceed to glue up the new grip.
By the way, have the person who is holding the spinning rod, wear a pair of cloth gloves. The cloth gloves will keep the spinning rod from burning their hands, but the cloth will let the rod slip nicely without catching on the rod.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 14, 2012 11:08PM

I hope this helps and makes sense. I have rebuilt several ugly stiks and they are all the same under the grip. I filed as much as I could down then mixed up some rodbond and filled the voids to make the blank section as uniform as possible. Sand this down, ream the new grip and install.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster