I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

replacing guides and heat gun
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2012 10:03AM

I recently had to replace a couple of guides and the epoxy was so hard and the guides were towards the tip that I was afraid of taking a piece of the rod out with my exacto knife so I applied some heat to the epoxy until it softened, thus making it easier to remove. I got to thinking that heating up the rod might be just as bad for the rod as nicking it with the exacto knife. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: replacing guides and heat gun
Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 13, 2012 10:12AM

I heat up the thread around the guide foot with a flame from a match or cigarette lighter. Using a utility knife,I cut this heated thread off the guide foot. Grab the loose end of the cut thread and unwind it until all the wrap is off.When the thread if off remove any high spots of epoxy and go over with a sotch pad if necessary.

Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (78.96.148.---)
Date: December 13, 2012 10:12AM

Better use a hair dryer ...its creating enough heat to soften the epoxy and the risc to overheat the blank is almost inexistent. With the heatgun the risc is there...but if you are real carefull it can be done.

And always cut the epoxy/thread on the foot of the guide...never on the blank....Just cut at the base of the guide and unthread the whole wrap with the softened epoxy on it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2012 10:16AM by Mihalyfalvi Gabriel.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.wifi1.tusc.kent.edu)
Date: December 13, 2012 10:13AM

Clinton,

It can be if you are not judicious. I killed one of my old rods that has some exceptionally stubborn epoxy using a little heat gun designed for melting embossing powders from the craft store. It's best to be conservative and have to add a little extra heat than to try to do it all at once. Apply heat to one side at a time, and just enough to soften the epoxy and you should be okay. If you get carried away and soften the resin in the blank, all bets are off in how long it will last.

Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 13, 2012 10:33AM

A little at a time check it often

Had one that was hard to get off Now got to save the handle and replace the upper end of the blank
Been There Done That
Do it carefully

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: bobby stout (147.58.99.---)
Date: December 13, 2012 10:46AM

Me too not only one time but twice

Bobby Stout
Bloomburg, TX

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 13, 2012 11:18AM

I kept on telling myself that the user -- must have hit it on the boat - then the heat weakened it more
Wishful thinking !!??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 13, 2012 12:40PM

A hair dryer is capable of exceeding the temperature a blank will tolerate. Don't ask how I know.....

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2012 12:53PM

The smaller "embossing guns" that are sold at craft stores like Hobby Lobby, Michaels and such are much safer as they put out lower heat while maintaining air volume. In all cases (alcohol lamp, hair dryer, embossing gun) the heat source should be kept away from direct contact. The finish need only be WARMED - not SOFT or RUNNY.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2012 04:29PM

Personally, I have better luck with an alcohol lamp, and start with the epoxy over the guide foot. 2-3 seconds only, then check for warming, like Ken suggested. This works for me really well. Also, don't ask me (king of the drooping tip) why 2-3 seconds is an important time limit. :-)

Terry

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 13, 2012 05:44PM

Use "GENTLE" heat. All that is needed is to warm the old epoxy - not melt it. I also shave the thread / epoxy off of the guide foot with a razor blade (like Peter does), lift the guide out of the epoxy, and then peel the thread off of the blank. I use a plastic picnic knife and more "GENTLE" heat to clean up the leftovers.

Rog

Posted by: barry batchelor (---.tmodns.net)
Date: December 13, 2012 09:20PM

I ruined an MHX blank using a heat gun to remove a guide. Just tread lightly and take your time. It.can be done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster