I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: EVA Glue Up Challenge
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2012 10:11AM

UPDATE: After gluing up two pieces of EVA and a third 1/8" strip of craft foam for an inlay, then sanding on a lathe, the glue (Quick Grip) held. I attempted to pull it apart with my hands also and the glue held very well. It works very similar to automotive weatherstrip adhesive. It is clear in color also.
You apply the glue to one piece, push the pieces together and then pull them back apart. Push them back together immediately and let dry. It waited 2 hours prior to sanding. I just tried two more pieces and let it dry for about 45 minutes and could not pull it apart with my hands. This glue can be found at most craft stores. It is in a yellow and green squeeze tube like toothpaste. I have not looked for a larger size than the 2 oz tube I purchased. I have had this glue for a long time and now I finally have a use for it. What is nice is that you don't have to let the glue dry before you put the pieces together. Also, the instructions are on the tube. I followed them exactly and had great results. I also clamped the pieces during the drying process. Hope this helps.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 10:39AM

THank you David.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: December 17, 2012 02:44PM

Hello David.

Thanks David I will see if I can find some in my neck of the woods.

Thanks again.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: December 17, 2012 02:53PM

No problem. I am thinking that weatherstrip adhesive might work also and then there's Goop Adhesive too.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 03:24PM

What about 3 M auto products Glues

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 17, 2012 05:14PM

I would think they would work also. The Quick Grip instructions say to push the pieces together then pull apart briefly, then push them back again. I used to be an auto tech and that's exactly how we used weatherstip adhesive. Most of what we used was either yellow or black colored 3M. I believe they make clear also. I like the clear much better than the tan colored contact cement. I will use next time for sure. If I find some clear 3M weatherstrip adhesive I'll try it also.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: brad mcdonald (---.jwh.com.au)
Date: January 07, 2013 10:08PM

failure report ....

hi all i gave this one a try and it failed to hold while sanding the grip [www.selleys.com.au]

sucess report ...

also tried this one [www.bostik.com.au] with good results. drying time is about 5 - 7 minutes @ aprox 24ºc instat hold and seams fexable after sanding.

assume ok to post those links? if not fee free to detele

brad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2013 10:09PM by brad mcdonald.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster