I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Perma Gloss
Posted by: Gerald S Brydalski (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2012 11:49PM

Does perma gloss need to be rotated like epoxy once applied, or can it be used like a varnish and just be brushed on to let dry?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perma Gloss
Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.175.192.---)
Date: December 11, 2012 04:38AM

Hi Gerald,
Doesn't need to be rotated for drying but it can be easier to apply if it's rotating, depending on what your covering. A foam brush is good for coating but it needs to hold enough to do the coating in one go. Tom's the guru with the stuff and he will chime in.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 11, 2012 07:56AM

It sets very quickly as long as there is some humidity present in the room. Generally it will be set sufficiently so that it will not run or sag within just a few minutes.

You cannot apply it very thickly, however.

Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: December 11, 2012 02:39PM

Very quickly is an understatement. I found it to set while it is being applied. There is no going over it at all. Your skills have to be spot on to apply with enough on the brush to finish a guide in one pass without lifting it off the wrap. I'm not there yet.

I have also finished a rod with spar urethane. Much more forgiving than PG. Thinner but with a longer drying time. The finish looks identical when complete. The rod has been fished heavily and flexed to the limit for two years and there is no cracking at all.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 11, 2012 07:16PM

I predict that if you use PG vs two-part finishes it will not take you long to abandon the PG. makes for a lousy looking wrap - unless applied thick with many coats the threads are not protected from abraision well at all. And - if you do apply it thick it will not be smooth and flat - rather it will be wavy.
Just my $.02
Speaking from experience. Re wrapped all my PG wraps. Or at least coated them over with a two-part finish.
Herb

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2012 07:21PM

I have used Perma Gloss for over 30 years and have never had any problems like those described above. I have always turned the rod by hand while applying and have used a loaded brush so that the finish penetrates and saturates the thread. You do need to keep the rod rotating after you have applied the last of the finish to the rod, and I usually keep it rotating for 2-3 hours. Only very thin coats don't need to be rotated for an hour or two, and even they should be turned 90 degrees every 5 to 10 minutes. Allow to cure for at least 24 hours before putting on a second coat.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 11, 2012 07:36PM

No it won't look like epoxy, but it will protect the threads like all get out. Try sanding a thread wrap that has 4 or 5 coats of PG on it. It's like sanding a rock. PG is much, much harder than epoxy and yet more flexible and water white clear.

It's just a different look, more like the old varnished wraps of old. Not really designed nor intended for a high build depth finish look.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster