I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GPS placement?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2012 09:14AM

I am following a GPS placement for KLH guides on a 7' 4wt fly rod 2 pcs, that I am building into a spinning rod , I have the measurements as follows, for the 27x method I have, the 16 size KLH at 16.73....", and the guide size 8 at 23.50..." and the size 5.5 at 28.50...", now the 5.5 is right at the place where the 2 pieces come together, the ? is, do I move the 5.5 size guide up an inch, or do I move them all up, I moved the 5.5 up an inch and it looks like it will be good there, but I am hoping on some feed back please. May be I should of gotten the size 20 for the butt guide? But I am trying to fit the 16 in . Have a good one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GPS placement?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2012 09:27AM

An single inch will make little noticeable difference. I'd probably just slide that particular guide up an inch while moving the others behind it up by maybe 1/2 inch. Do remember that it's okay to have a guide directly on the ferrule. So only move it as far as needed to clear the actual joint.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 10, 2012 09:33AM

I vote for Tom's second solution. The 5.5 KL-H is a very unique guide and sort of a staple of the KR Concept so moving the 5.5 rather than finding another guide is likely the best solution.

Date: December 10, 2012 09:48AM

Ok, I moved right on the edge of the ferrule, and the ring of the guide is 1/2 inch more, form 28 and a half to 29", should I just leave it there, or should I move all the others up also? Thanks for the input!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2012 10:23AM

I suspect you'll be fine as is. Go out and cast it and see what you think.

Date: December 10, 2012 10:33AM

Will do, I don't think I have a choice. Thanks again!

Date: December 10, 2012 02:59PM

It looks like it will be just fine, the line flows nicely through the whole rod, I will have to keep track on the spacing n this one for the next. Thanks.

Date: December 10, 2012 05:30PM

Great! That's the nice thing about the KR CONCEPT...it's a concept...something you can work with until you come up with a custom solution. Not the hard "reality" of a kit with specific measurements.

Date: December 10, 2012 09:09PM

Jim, thats why I choose to do the KR for all of my next rods, until something better comes up! Who Knows! Its a great concept, Thanks to who ever came up with this one.One thing though I still cannot figure out is how they get the spacing on the butt guide and the ones up till the choke point, but how ever they did it it works really good! I keep testing it on the straight edge of a board with the spool axle on the edge just like the tutorial, and the guides lined up, but even with the axle lined up you can move the rod up or down and still have the spool axle lined up but with different positions for the butt guide and the rest of the guides, so I just follow the GPS and it comes out fine, and with a little twinking like I had to do with the 5.5mm KLH guide it came out really nice! have a good one!

Date: December 11, 2012 10:06AM

Glad you're learning to rely on GPS. Almost everyone makes the initial step with a little skepticism but most reach a point of confidence fairly quickly. GPS is basically an "automated table edge" technique with a few frills thrown in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster