I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing room temperature
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2012 06:33PM

I use TM Lite. I apply finish in a room that the temperature ranges from about 62 to 68 degrees. Does have that any affect on the finishing process? I just figure the guides may take a little longer to dry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing room temperature
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2012 07:59PM

62 is a little cool. You may find it takes a week or so to cure at that temperature. You'll have better success at 70-75 if you can get it there. If you are consistently in the low 60's for temp, you might consider a simple drying box. A search on this site will give you lots of ideas to make an inexpensive one at home.

I have a gas stove in the rod shop and usually I set it to 75 for a couple hours on the timer. It's tack-free overnight but still takes another day or 2 to fully cure.

Terry

Posted by: Bob Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2012 08:05PM

Bruce, I use the same finish at about the same temp. I like the fact that tm lite has a long set life to begin with.I can epoxy a whole in one setting. I let it turn and dry all night and get excellent results.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2012 08:06PM

Bob Kraft Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bruce, I use the same finish at about the same
> temp. I like the fact that tm lite has a long set
> life to begin with.I can epoxy a whole in one
> setting. I let it turn and dry all night and get
> excellent results.

Hey Bob, Do you mean my temperatures 62 to 68 degrees?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2012 08:28PM

The epoxy will certainly take a little longer to set and cure. With respect to our popular thread coating epoxies, every 20F increase or decrease from about 70F results in either halving or doubling the set and cure time. Figure from there.

A temp of about 75F is ideal for most of our epoxies. 68F isn't going to throw you off by much, but at 62 you may find the epoxy a little thick to apply easily.

Posted by: Bob Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2012 07:15PM

My rod room in basement about 68. Dont like it any cooler than that. A small space heater under your finishing bench while you epoxing might help.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 03:31PM

This time of year, the room in which I wrap my rods is about 68 degrees. I haven't experienced any difficulties. In fact, it may be my imagination, but I believe Threadmaster Lite will level better at that temperature than it does in warmer summer months. It also allows me a greater margin of error when applying the second coat of finish. Delamination is less of a peril, IMO.
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 04:29PM

Threadmaster Lite takes longer to cure than regular finish, still tacky after curing overnight if it's cool. I finish the rods out in the garage. I have a radiant heater to heat the workbench space and that will get the finish to cure in several hours.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster