I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need blank help for 9' bucktail rod!
Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (174.141.213.---)
Date: December 09, 2012 04:22PM

Thanks for your help in advance.

I do about 99% of my fishing at Sebastian Inlet for snook, using 30lb PowerPro Slick 8, throwing 1-3oz jigs or Windcheaters. I wanna treat myself to a new jig rod for Christmas, but am can't decide on the perfect blank. The first priority is weight, I will be casting for long periods so id like to be under 6oz blank weight, but still have enough backbone to stop fish from pilings as well. I mainly have glx or legends for my other rods, but when you get to 9' there is no such blank, but I prefer a hm feel
. I have been looking into Phenix Black Diamonds, but need some quality input. Lamiglas and Batson are a second option, but im not crazy about the feel. Is there another hm blank in 9' for 30lb Im not considering?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need blank help for 9' bucktail rod!
Posted by: Frank Lancaster (---.dsl.hickorytech.net)
Date: December 09, 2012 05:24PM

check out
North fork composites
[northforkcomposites.com]
look at the salmon mooching blanks
these are great blanks

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 09, 2012 08:20PM

Seeker Hercules?

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: December 11, 2012 02:01PM

Might be a St. Croix musky blank in the SCIV series that will work...

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 11, 2012 02:41PM

The Rainshadow SW1088 has been the most popular but I'm sure the SW1087 would work well [www.batsonenterprises.com]

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Date: December 12, 2012 01:10AM

Thanks for the options. I have looked into most of the mentioned prior to posting with the exception of the seeker rod, and will have to ask around about that, since I have only seen heavy duty offshore rods made with their blanks. North Fork are great blanks, but wish they made a one piece hm rod for my taste. The rainshadows are a little heavy, another wish list would be RX8 surf rod but I understand the limited market. They do make the sc4 musky in a 30-50 that is like 4oz but only 8'6". Im upgrading from a SC3 8' so Id like to warrant the new rod by going to atleast 9'. Maybe Im just too picky, but hate to spend 500 on a rod thats not 100% for my needs. Snook is going out next week, so I really dont have to rush. I need to get some more snook and striper guys willing to drop 300 on a blank to entise the high end rods into that market. Im gunna keep doing my homework. Thanks again

Date: December 12, 2012 01:10AM

Thanks for the options. I have looked into most of the mentioned prior to posting with the exception of the seeker rod, and will have to ask around about that, since I have only seen heavy duty offshore rods made with their blanks. North Fork are great blanks, but wish they made a one piece hm rod for my taste. The rainshadows are a little heavy, another wish list would be RX8 surf rod but I understand the limited market. They do make the sc4 musky in a 30-50 that is like 4oz but only 8'6". Im upgrading from a SC3 8' so Id like to warrant the new rod by going to atleast 9'. Maybe Im just too picky, but hate to spend 500 on a rod thats not 100% for my needs. Snook is going out next week, so I really dont have to rush. I need to get some more snook and striper guys willing to drop 300 on a blank to entise the high end rods into that market. Im gunna keep doing my homework. Thanks again

Posted by: Johnny Sebastian (---.248.193.67.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: December 14, 2012 10:57AM

Look at the Century Sling Shot series.
1145 - 9'-6" 3/4 - 3oz
1265 - 10'-6" 1 to 3oz

Or the CTS
CB902 BayCaster 9'0'' 20-25lb 60-120g

I live in Indialantic I fish Sebastian and surrounding areas as often as I can. I been researching a rod for throwing big plugs off the beach for tarpon and Century and CTS blanks seem to the be the one that come recommended. I have not found weights listed online.

Date: December 14, 2012 07:52PM

Thanks Johnny. I just happened to stumble across these two blank recommendations looking at the striper forums. I have only faguely heard of cts and century before, so if there is anyone out there using the above mentioned blanks for snook bucktail please let me know your thoughts. I didnt see any local dealers so will prob just have to go in blind, but they seem to be up my alley. I wish mudhole had them then aleast I could cop a feel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster