I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weird (to me) Wrap Issue
Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: December 09, 2012 02:32PM

Hi, Folks. this from a BC board, where the author has something totally foreign to me. As such all I could do was guess.
His post, followed by my guesses:

Sport: "This is my 3rd build and am by no means an expert. Just finished a 3wt RPL and just went out to the yard to wiggle it. There is a flexy/scratchy kind of noise coming from the stripper guide as the rod flexes. It must be loose? How hard is it to remove the thread coating and redo this guide? What can I do so this does not happen again? I used Flex Coat to cover my threads. Thanks."

My guesses: " Hi, Sport.... Your scenario would be the first I myself have heard of it happening, since I began threadwork.
Because of lack of first hand experiance, I can only make a few guesses as to cause. Not in any order: loose threads, guide feet not contacting the blank, resin not fully penetrating the wrap, and working its way in, under, and around the guide foot,
resin not bonding to the blank, so the whole assembly floats and moves. Did you use colour preserver, or did you just apply resin direct to the threads?"

He replied he went direct no colour preserver to the wrap.

Has anyone reading had this happen, and if so, was I close, or did I miss. If I missed, what went wrong with this fellow. Thanks, Ken.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weird (to me) Wrap Issue
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2012 02:38PM

My first question would be, is he sure where the noise is coming from? is the reel on the rod and if so is it tight? I would suspect the noise would be coming from somewhere in the handle/grip area or the rod having a loose ferrule fitting.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2012 03:07PM

could it be where the pieces fit together, I nhad a rod that did that I found out it was where the pieces fitted together. I just put a piece of tape to the male part and it stopped, I still got to figure a better waysinse the tape will not last long.

Date: December 09, 2012 04:27PM

Hi, Folks, no, and no. It's the guide. KD.

Posted by: jack taller (---.fast.net.id)
Date: December 09, 2012 04:47PM

i know this...in indonesia where i live many factory rod that made localy or from another asian country has some scratchy sound too
it usualy happen in 1st time the rod use(flex) or when we test to bend it in shop
the sound is from the guide wrap. i think because the epoxy not yet break in
after few bend/flex the soung will gone

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2012 12:22PM

Ken,

Could it be the ceramic ring loose in the frame? If so, he could try to apply a "light" drop or two of permagloss/lumiseal so that it flows into any void that may be present between the ceramic ring and guide frame. He'll have to wait a few days for the permagloss/lumiseal to cure before wiggle testing again. If it's still present, he may have no choice but to replace the guide. If he has to replace the guide, have him consider applying a coat or two of permagloss/lumiseal to the threads first, wait 5 days, then apply thread epoxy. In my experience, the urethane finish tends to "flow" into every crevice and "lock" the guide feet and guide wraps more securely than either color preserver or epoxy when applied directly to the thread wraps first.

Posted by: joseph arvay (---.sub-70-194-82.myvzw.com)
Date: December 10, 2012 01:39PM

I'll second Torin Koski's suggestion of looking into the ceramic ring/frame fit if the guide is of such nature. Oddly, it's not something I've ever noticed until the guide is on a rod blank, at which point the noise seems amplified. Never did anything to mine, doesn't bother me when I fish with the rod. Perhaps accumulated water crud solves it in short order.

Try pinching the ring between your fingers and wiggling it within the frame if you can. Only the ring if possible, it won't move noticeably, but if ring fit is the cause you'll likely hear it then.

Again, I can't hear this unless the guide is on a blank or pressed against some other other hard surface. A clicky, scratching sound is what I speak of and it was on some Fuji Alconites in larger sizes.

Date: December 10, 2012 01:43PM

All suggestions are being sent to to Stewart at flybc... looks like to one I missed so far in my guesses, was a loose inner ring. Those I have encountered, but not the noisy kind. The few I've experianced were silent. Thanks to folks so far. KD.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster