I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

is it acceptable-finish problem
Posted by: jack taller (---.fast.net.id)
Date: December 08, 2012 05:26AM

it still big problem with me in decorative wrap, no matter i sand it smoothly and evenly. when i applied finish it start to wavy again, not much but still dont get glass look specially when i see it from rod bottom /top
so i have idea to spray it with urethane after it smooth sanded.
is it acceptable?i feel it like cheat
i'll do it only at split grip section so flexibility is not the problem

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is it acceptable-finish problem
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2012 07:45AM

Is the wrap "glass smooth?" If this is an open wrap, then it won't be smooth, it will be shaped just like the wrap.

If the finish itself is "wavy" then you're either putting on too much, the rod is off level, or you're not turning it frequently enough.

A spray on urethane is not going to give you any depth. It's doubtful you'll like how it looks.

Date: December 08, 2012 08:09AM

i know it strange situation
i have just made 2 decorative wrap. 1 is 8 axis chevron (open) and the other 1 is tiger wrap
the 8 axis is very smooth, i flush it with finish until it sag and turn 180degree and repeat again until no more sag
with tiger i did same thing but it can't smooth, so i sanded and recoat again with very thin finish
unfortunately i wavy again so i repeat the sanding and recoating process until 3 time and can't get enough smoothness.
i realy desperate now.
the urethane spray that i mentioned in 1st post is after i apply enough epoxy for build the thickness
then i'll sand it smooth and spray it
is it okay?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2012 09:08AM

Jack,
A small suggestion.
Pick up an inexpensive rod dryer so that you can keep the rod turning continuously.
Then, use thin finish to coat.
When you finish, use multiple thin coats of thin finish. Don't worry if the finish fills every thing the first time.
Put on a thin coat of thin finish and let it dry until is is not tacky. Then, with another and another coat as needed.

When finish is applied correctly it should normally not have to be sanded.

As Mr. Kirkman has pointed out in times past - generally a wavy finish happens because of too much finish being applied at one time.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2012 10:28AM

Waiting until the finish sags is one of the most sure ways to create a lumpy or wavy finish. You never want the finish to sag or droop.

If you're applying a very, very thin coat, it should be almost impossible to get any sagging of the finish - there wouldn't be enough finish in place to do that.

Try it again, but this time, do not allow the finish to sag or droop. Turn it before it does that.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 08, 2012 11:42AM

Are you sanding with a block behind the paper? Without a sanding block one ends up sanding low spots as well as high spots
and you don't get an absolutely flat surface after sanding.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: December 08, 2012 11:50AM

Roger and Tom thanks for your responds
this is my methods for applying finish.
for 200mm wrap and blank's OD 14mm i mixed 0,5ml of each part(1ml in total)
i drop the epoxy with my brush randomly in entire wrap until i have nothing in my mixing pot
then i spread it lengthwise with my brush until it look "level" and then i wait for sagging and watch closely if there is dried area that need some touch up
in this time i rotating the rod by hand in my wrapper each 3-5minutes , after i confident with the result i'll put it in my dryer(25rpm when i work with TMlite) and let it dry

i think the problem start when i drop it randomly because as i see the valley and hill that occur after it dry very random
maybe i should drop it in circumference each end of wrap and spread it to middle area

tell me which is better,randomly or in circumference of each end?
what's your suggestion of finish volume for wrap that size?

and Tom, i have read many your articles on rod building world you are rod scientist . maybe you can make a research how much finish is appropriate for specific area of wrap
and make some formulation for it :)

Date: December 08, 2012 11:52AM

Raymond:
yes i used wooden block fo sanding

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2012 03:12PM

Jack,
If I were doing it, I would have it in the dryer turning at 25 rpm all of the time.
Use thin finish to apply a very thin coat to the area and then go onto the next area. Certainly the area won't be filled, but that is not your goal on the first, 2nd or even 3rd coat.

Just stop the rod when needed to fill in around the guide foot. Otherwise leave the rod turning.

Again, stay away from the sanding if at all possible.

Good luck
Roger

Date: December 08, 2012 07:47PM

Roger,
are you talking about guide wrap?
for guide wrap i dnt have any trouble.I did what you mentioned above
but decorative wrap is my main problem

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: December 08, 2012 10:22PM

Notice that Tom said very very thin coats. Don't think that this job will be completed in 1 or 2 coats. Coat the wraps so they are barely wet, that's "very very thin" then repeat when dry. Continue this pattern until you're happy. With practice and experience you will be able to put the right amount on with fewer coats.

Date: December 09, 2012 07:43AM

Mike,
sure i will do it in my next job.. i think i'll let this wrap become wavy now..
as a reminder of my learning curve.because this 2 rods are my 1st build

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster