I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

forhan locking wrap
Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 07, 2012 09:28AM

How do you get enough slack in thread to do a forhan locking. wrap If I pull enough thread to wrap to wind around the guide i lose tension on
the spool.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: forhan locking wrap
Posted by: Bill Davis (---.dr02.atmr.al.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 07, 2012 10:25AM

Put your finger on the wrap to maintain tension, then cut enough thread off the spool to finish the Fordam wrap, then finish the wrap by hand.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.wpa3.kent.edu)
Date: December 07, 2012 10:40AM

Use your fingers to maintain tension. One hand turns the rod, and the other wraps the thread around the guide when needed and maintains tension. After the last locking wrap, I take my hand off the rod (You may have to put a finger on the wrap to keep it from losing tension, depending on the amount of friction in your wrapper and your thread tension.) and use it to turn the spool backwards a bit to pick up the slack. Then finish the wrap as usual. After a couple tries, it should become second nature.

Joe

Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: December 07, 2012 10:46AM

So im a rookie here so help me out. What exactly is this locking wrap. I am about to wrap a couple replacement guides on a casting rod which are single foot and very small. I was wondering if there was an additional step needed to ensure they dont slip from under the wrap.

am i nuts ???

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2012 10:47AM

I always get the guide to where it is facing me, then wrap the thread, It never loses tension if you keep the thread tight while wrapping it around the foot, or like Bill wrote place your finger on the thread. Tight wraps!

Posted by: Nate Fess (---.wachovia.com)
Date: December 07, 2012 11:12AM

Casey - check out the Forhan Locking Wrap article in the Library.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 07, 2012 03:33PM

Casey,
Assuming that you have a thread bobbin tensioner - For the two blocking wraps just push the thread to the side with your burnishing tool - or some other thin smooth tool - keeping tension with rotation of blank and tool.

For the three locking wraps treat the beginning like a blocking wrap - but loop thread around tool (keeping tension with the tool) and swing the loop around the guide ring. All of the time keeping tension with the tool and rotating the blank.
Do that 3 times and then just do 2 more blocking wraps the same as step #1.

Herb

Date: December 07, 2012 04:43PM

Thanks for the help guys maybe I'll try that pointing the guide toward me thing

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2012 11:29AM

Hi Paul,

If you unhide your email, I have an expanded Forhan security wrap tutorial I can send you. It has a few more pictures and suggestions that can enhance the library article.

Terry

Date: December 08, 2012 04:49PM

I didn't know it was hidden you should be able to see it now.

Posted by: Matt Caplis (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2012 10:38PM

Terry Turner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Paul,
>
> If you unhide your email, I have an expanded
> Forhan security wrap tutorial I can send you. It
> has a few more pictures and suggestions that can
> enhance the library article.
>
> Terry

Terry, could you send me that tutorial as well? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2012 02:31PM

Hi Terry or Matt, If you don't mind would you please send me the a copy of the expanded Forhan security wrap tutorial. My email should be unlock.
Thanks
Corky

Corky
Corky's Custom Rods
Savannah, Georgia

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 13, 2012 05:08PM

Terry,
Me too, please!

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster