I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ROD DRYER RPM
Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 08:44PM

I am going to buy a new rod dryer. How many RPM's should i look for? i see they come from 4-35 RPM's. What is yours and what would you get?

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ROD DRYER RPM
Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.175.192.---)
Date: December 06, 2012 08:55PM

Hi Kevin,
Mines 10rpm and that works good for me.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 06, 2012 09:34PM

I have a 4 and an 18, they both work good but I prefer the slower.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 09:37PM

Over 40 years of trial and error, 18 rpm's has worked the best. Slower and it will tend to sag, and faster it will tend to throw of thin finishes that are put on in a heavy coat. There is no need for a faster or slower speed. I have worked with thre rod manufacturers to help them develope the best speed to dry and cure their rods. All agree that this works best.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2012 01:52AM

Kevin,
If in doubt - pick up a variable speed dryer, and use the speed that works best for the finish and rod you are using.

A common standard used for years by many rod builders is 6 rpm for the long term drying.

I have done dome drying at speeds faster than about 13-14 rpm, and I find that for many finishes, there tends to be a bit of a "foot ball" effect from the speed. i.e. the speed of the rod is causing a bit of thickening in the centers of the wraps.

But, when keeping the speeds below 13 rpm, but at least 6 rpm - I have found no such issue.

I typically use about 10 rpm now for my personal best results.

But, to be sure, vary the speed of the dryer for the rod and finish being used to make your own evaluation. Keep a very very close look at the finish as the rod is turning for the first hour or so. Normally, after the first hour of drying, the finish will have set up enough so that after that time, the speed becomes unimportant. i.e. very little change in the flow or effect of drying speed on the finish after the first hour of drying.

There are a number of motors and motor systems available that will let you change your speed quite easily. i.e. the ability to change from a speed of say 0-50 rpm.

Note: These motors and systems are not necessarily being sold for drying - per say - but in fact can be quickly adapted to be used for a drying motor.

If you have further questions; just drop me an e-mail

hflier@comcast.net

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2012 08:11AM

Don't know about throwing finish off but mine goes at about 80 rpm and I like that
I can cover thread faster and get better finish edges

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2012 10:47AM

Bill,
Are you telling me that the rod sits and spins at 80 rpm as it goes through its 24 hour drying cycle?

I believe that the question was referring to the long term overnight drying speed, not the speed for finish application.
Yes, I also apply finish at speed of 50-100 rpm, but I certainly do not leave the rod spinning at 100 rpm for 24 hours while the finish is curing.

Roger

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2012 11:04AM

I apply at around 80rpm (yes, some thin finishes like urethane may flick off). I have driers that turn between 15 and 18rpm. For me applying finish at higher speeds tends to keep edges straighter; results in thinner application of finish and smoother (less bumpy) final product. As for drying speeds - I think you could pick any after the finish is applied it will continue to self level for quite some time - it's more important that the rod is level - or canted up if you want the finish to accumulate against a foregrip, hosel or winding check

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2012 11:05AM

No after a couple of hours I slow it to about I think it's 12 or 15 rpm Got pulleys on 2 and got to count the revolutions again

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster