I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

optical chevron
Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 03:15PM

Can anyone tell me how to do an optical chevron? Or recommend a good dvd on cross wraps I am a newbie and looking at pics will only get me so far.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: optical chevron
Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 05:13PM

billy's book is what you need,step by step thru many different patterns including 3-d chevrons,i 'll try in limited space to explain the wrap.1st lay down a underwrap of grey ,then wrap white up the blank and black down the blank,there ya go,thats the basics of it

Date: December 06, 2012 06:03PM

Will it work without the underwrap and different colors?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2012 06:08PM by Paul Luechtefeld.

Date: December 06, 2012 06:12PM

yes on both questions paul,just using the black,white,grey as an exaple.the most important part of the 3-d is to make sure to use colors that contrast each other,i.e,red/blue,green/yellow,etc.and have the underwrap or blank be a nuetral color,grey,biege,pink,etc.

Date: December 06, 2012 06:30PM

Thanks, I think I'm going to try silver in green on a black blank

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 06:34PM

You'll have to wrap that on multiple axes to get the best effect (4 up 4 down or more threads)

Date: December 06, 2012 07:15PM

I am going to try it on a 7 foot 6 inch Ultra Light.With a butt diameter of .343

Date: December 06, 2012 07:43PM

you may not get the effect on a small diam. blank such as you're descrbing,but the good part is you won't have too much thread in to the wrap before you'll see if it works or not.sometimes a window or shadow pattern looks best on a small blank,but heck if you can get the 3-d to look good go for it and make sure to post it in the pic forum,happy wrapping

Posted by: Robert Hudak (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 09:57PM

Here is a variation on the 3D Chevron that may be worth a look. This is on a small light freshwater blank.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: December 06, 2012 10:25PM

Thanks i am very new to rod building and i don't know any builders so i appreciate any help.

Date: December 07, 2012 04:35PM

Robert that is a cool wrap too but what is the sequence for wrapping

Posted by: Robert Hudak (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 07, 2012 08:26PM

It is a basic open chevron with even spacing. That is it. No special layout. I chose 3 different shades of blue. Underwrapped with the med shade. Then made the chevron with the lighter and darker blues. Take the underwrap away, and it just looks like a normal chevron like any other you have seen. Two keys to making the illusion. 1. Make sure that the legs of the chevron are the same width as the area of underwrap left visible (area between repeats). 2. Make sure you outline the lighter color with the darker. I really wish I had outlined the "tie off" area as well. But, you live and learn. I really like this variation cause of how easy it is and you don't see it often at all. I really like the one in Billy's book as well, this is just easier for a "newbie" to set up. Builds confidence towards your next wrap. :)

Posted by: Keith Staats (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 08, 2015 12:20PM

I know this is a very old post, but could someone tell me what book is being referred to here. "Billy's book" ?

Thank you
Keith

Posted by: Dave Fitch (104.254.92.---)
Date: February 21, 2017 08:00PM

Keith Staats Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know this is a very old post, but could someone
> tell me what book is being referred to here.
> "Billy's book" ?
>
> Thank you
> Keith

Keith,

I had the same question, a while back . . .

It's "Decorative Wraps" by Billy Vivona

"Fishing is our Handshake, our Language. A Heritage that binds us together. A Passage our fathers took. A Journey that lasts a lifetime, that we have begun again with our sons and daughters." George "Gowge" Pope

Posted by: Dave Fitch (---.ip-149-56-18.net)
Date: February 21, 2017 10:17PM

Keith Staats Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know this is a very old post, but could someone
> tell me what book is being referred to here.
> "Billy's book" ?
>
> Thank you
> Keith

Keith,

I had the same question, a while back . . .

It's "Decorative Wraps" by Billy Vivona

"Fishing is our Handshake, our Language. A Heritage that binds us together. A Passage our fathers took. A Journey that lasts a lifetime, that we have begun again with our sons and daughters." George "Gowge" Pope

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster