I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

permagloss issue
Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: December 05, 2012 10:53AM

After becoming resonably proficient at 2 part epoxy application, i decided to try my hand at permagloss. I have previously finished a rod with spar urethane and it was a success, however permagloss is proving difficult.

I will try to descibe the condition as accurately as possible. On some of the wraps, after the second or thrid coat small spots and streaks have appeared which look almost like glitter, but the specks are much smaller. Does anyone have any idea what this might be ? If it proves impossible to fix, I will probably cover the wraps with a coat of epoxy and some glitter to hide the specks.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: permagloss issue
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2012 11:28AM

No idea - I've not seen that in almost two decades of using it.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2012 11:33AM

Perhaps some dust contamination in your environment? I haven't seen any issues like this from permagloss itself.

Terry

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2012 12:06PM

I have been using perma gloss for over 30 years and did most of the testing of the product for Ralph O'Quinn who developed it and have never seen or heard of the problem you describe.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 05, 2012 05:25PM

Possible tiny air bubbles?
Remember, it sets up really fast.
Too much brushing will make it worse.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2012 11:26PM

On second glance they do look like tiny bubbles. Anyway, I coated over with epoxy and silver glitter to hide the bubbles. I'll post pictures when its done.

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 08:22AM

I once knew a girl named Bubbles but that was a long time ago. Sounds like micro bubble to me. Any bubbles will get you in trouble all the time.If you know what I mean!

Dave, East Bay Custom Flyrods RI

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 01:10PM

If they are tiny bubbles, this is usually caused by applying a second or third coat of perma gloss before the previous coat has had cured completely. I would advise to allow more time to cure before applying additional coats. A lot depends on the ambient humidity where you live. I wouldn't try to use additional heat or heat boxes to try to speed the process since it cures by drawing moisture from the air. I always allow 24 hours between coats. Hope this helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster