I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Differince in technique, varnish vs epoxy?
Posted by: Scott Degen (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 02, 2012 10:39AM

Hey all, I've built a few rods using rod varnish on the threads, and I've done fine without having any sort of rod turner. I've just used light coats and rotated the rod frequently as it was drying. I'm going to do my first build using epoxy, like a normal person. After watching videos, I'm a little concerned that my technique might not fare so well with epoxy. Is it practical to coat threads with epoxy while turning the rod by hand, and not result in lumps where the epoxy ran?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Differince in technique, varnish vs epoxy?
Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-253-212.myvzw.com)
Date: December 02, 2012 11:07AM

Scott, depending on temp., it takes around 2 hrs for epoxy to set up so it won't run. Rotating the rod every 10-15 mins for that two hours will give you an even finish.

As for applying it while hand rotating, it certainly can be done, however I much rather prefer applying my epoxy while it is rotating at 20+ rpm: this gives you the nice clean edges.

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.237.---)
Date: December 02, 2012 11:13AM

Yes, most people start out applying finish by hand. You will need to block out a 4 hour or so window that you can be near the rod. once the finish is on you will need to turn the rod 180degrees every 5 minutes or so for about a 1/2 hour then you can go to 10 min interval for awhile eventually you will be able to work out to a 20 min or so interval. Keep the container of unapplied epoxy near and you can check it as it sets up and this will give you an idea of how long you can wait before rotating the rod. Usually it takes about 4 hours or so for the epoxy to cure to the point it won't sag. Every batch is a little different. I now use a rotisserie motor that turns about 7 rpm to apply and cure. I applied by hand for several years before finding the motor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2012 11:14AM by Bruce Johnstone.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 02, 2012 12:35PM

There is a great article on applying epoxy to wraps in this sites "Library" above.

Posted by: Scott Degen (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 02, 2012 01:13PM

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the answers and the tips.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2012 03:31PM

make or buy a motorized dryer

less babysitting ya put a coat on check once or twice

Go out and have a nice dinner

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2012 03:43PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:17PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2012 09:42PM

Not quite sure why you are anxious to change. Permagloss gives an outstanding finish, and is more conducive to hand wrapping and finishing due to the fast curing time. Many builders use it exclusively, even though it takes several coats, it is very clear and tough.

If you are looking to try a 2-part finish on your hand wrapper, I would pick one that is on the quicker curing side, like Flexcoat lite. Threadmaster is a great finish but the curing time is long and you will be turning for several hours before you can let it go. If you like the looks of the finish and want to make the switch to 2-part, I would second the recommendation of getting a drying motor, and practicing on the amount of finish to use. You'll have a learning curve moving to the new method.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster