I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork jig
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 10:20AM

I have just recieved the cork jig from Mudhole, and I just cut some cork and let me say it works alot better then trying to cut that cork with out one, I have some half inch thick cork rings, and wanted to cut them into 1/4 inch thick rings but the cork jig does not do 1/4 inch thickness, so I guess i will have to buy some, but over all it works really great , alot better then the razor blade and ruler method I was using, lol! I got alot of them that came out crooked, got to figure ouy a way to get them straight. I am glad I got it! Tight wraps all! OH, and nice cork handles.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork jig
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 11:29AM

Lorenzo,
I see that the jig will cut the cork down.
What thickness does the jig cut the cork?

Roger

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2012 11:39AM

add washers to get the thickness you want to cut

Date: December 01, 2012 11:58AM

From the half inch to the 1/4 of an inch, it cuts the 1/8 and the 1/16 with the washer, but not the 1/4 form the 1/2 inch cork ring.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 12:04PM

As J P said, you can use washers to adjust the thickness of the slice. I cut thicknesses from 1/16" to 3/8" from 1/2" rings all the time. I also highly recommend getting rid of the jewelers saw (due to constant blade breakage) and replacing it with a Gyros razor saw. It is ultra thin with a blade thickness of only .008", it also has a brass back for stiffness.

Date: December 01, 2012 12:13PM

Lorenzo,
With a full 1/2 inch thick ring, and with the right thin saw, what is the thickness of each piece of cork after slicing it once in the jig?

The reason that I ask this question is that I am wondering if you have a jig that was made and shipped to you that did not allow a full 1/2 cut on a 1/2 inch ring.
Normally, with the jig correctly made, the thin bladed saw will cut a 1/2 inch piece of cork exactly in half. Thus you will be left with two pieces of cork - each 1/4 inch thick minus the saw kerf of about .004 inches.
Or each piece of cork will be about .22 inches thick.

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2012 12:16PM by roger wilson.

Date: December 01, 2012 12:19PM

By varying the amount and or thickness of the washers you can cut just about any thickness you want.

To answer Rogers question, if you use the .008" thickness saw you lose very very little due to the kerf..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 12:19PM

Put the cork on a say 3/8" threaded rod short Put on a lath or drill get it turning then saw them
Run over sandpaper and wa la thin cork rings

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 01, 2012 12:24PM

Phil,
I suspect that Lorenzo is using the jig that has the horizontal slice down the center of the jig.

If the jig is 1/2 inch deep and if the slice is 1/4 inch up from the bottom, he will be able to cut slices 1/4 inch thick - minus the saw kerf.

But, if the jig is not 1/2 inch deep and if the horizontal cut is not in the middle of the jig, he will not be able to get 1/4 inch slices.

Yes, if he puts appropriate thickness washers into the bottom of the 1 1/4 inch hole and then holds the saw flat across the top of the jig, he will be able to get any thickness that he wants - but this comes at the expense of less saw control.

Roger

Date: December 01, 2012 01:14PM

Roger, the slice slot is not in the middle, it is 1/8" up from the bottom. So if you take two slices of 1/8", you have 1/4" left! Factoring the saw kerf is a non issue, as the original 1/2" rings are not exact to start with. The jig will not accept a saw with anything over .008" thickness.

Date: December 01, 2012 01:42PM

Thats what i will do like Phil said just glue 2 1/8" pieces together to make a 1/4" ring. Phil is that Gyros saw is it a blade or the blade and the handle, and where would I get this?

Date: December 01, 2012 03:10PM

It is a complete saw, got mine a Woodcraft store, have also seen them at Rocklers and online. No need to glue the 1/8ths back together unless you will not be using them, as the residual piece is 1/4".

Date: December 01, 2012 03:23PM

Date: December 01, 2012 04:40PM

Thanks Roger, I found the saw on one of the sites you had, Thanks Phil for the tip, I probably will get one, 2 broke already, so I will order one as soon as these are used up.

Date: December 01, 2012 05:46PM

I don't know anyone who uses the jewelers saw that doesn't get frustrated with the frequent blade breakage! I used one up until I found the Gyros, now no more down time changing blades! It is also more productive as you needn't take the caution you need with the jewelers.

Lorenzo, you just got the jig and saw, and already broken 2 blades, don't wait to use up those blades.

Date: December 01, 2012 06:14PM

Phil, I woulsd, but in the past week I already spended a lot of cash on this stuff, all I got is a few more rings to split and cut, next builds I will certainly get one. Tight wraps!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster