I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

center pin rod blanks
Posted by: Walt Lukowski (---.anheuser-busch.com)
Date: November 30, 2012 03:21AM

Back in the game after a year off, now just building custom fly rods. need a blank for a center pin rod. any advise

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: center pin rod blanks
Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2012 08:22AM

90% of my builds are centerpin or float rods. I am also an avid steelheader. If money is no object, hands down the CTS Affinity blanks are my personal favorite. The weight to strength ratio is amazing. They are available in 12, 13, and 13' 6'' lengths in two different weights 4-8lb and 6 -10lb. They are two piece, except for the 13' 6'' which is 3. I primarilly fish lake Ontario tribs. These rods have plenty of backbone and are extremely light. They are based out of New Zealand.

Hillsborough, NJ

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2012 08:29AM

MHX 1562 or Rainshadow 1562 have been sucessful on many builds. CTS Afinity is the crem de la crem" like Frank said above.

Posted by: Steve Dyczkiewycz (198.14.213.---)
Date: November 30, 2012 09:18AM

+1 with Frank and Jess. The Batson XST blanks also offer good power, speed and weight with the MHX blanks being well suited for those who like more of a 'classic' float rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2012 09:18AM by Steve Dyczkiewycz.

Posted by: Karen Hapka - Bingham Ent. (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2012 10:26AM

Another possibility is the St.Croix. 3CP130MLM2 --(2pc). 13' moderate action,6-10 line wgt.rating. and if you are looking for a longer one there is the 3CP150MLM3. 15' Same action and line rating but a 3pc.

Karen Hapka
Bingham Enterprises
Binghamenterprises@kc.rr.com

"Authorized St.Croix Dealer"

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2012 11:42AM

Any chance of getting Shimano blanks? (probably not) I just re-built a 13' Clarus for a guy and I really like the 4 piece configuration.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 30, 2012 12:45PM

Try one of these, they have been favorites for years!

XST1562-3 Center Pin
Rainshadow XST Salmon Steelhead

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # XST1562-3-TC 13' 3pc Lt 6-10lb Salmon/Steelhead - Titanium Chrome
Butt Cap: HDCCBC20F Hard Density Cork Composite Butt Cap w/Flare
Reel Seat skeleton: RA8L2-SKC-SG #RA8L2 Alum Skeleton w/recessed hood & Dbl locking nuts TR&Cap - Shiney Gunsmoke
Reel Seat Body: RA8L2-INS-GWG Woven Graphite Insert for #RA8L2 R/S Skeleton - Grey
Fore Grip: HEFW7.375CS-350/865 7.375" Fly Grip w/cork composite .350 bore/.865 R/S cut out Super Grade Cork
Rear Grip: RG9A-375 9" Rear Grip
Winding Check: AWCC473-TC Aluminum Winding Check w/cut out .473 I.D. - TC
Hookeeper: TCHKS Small TiCH Hook Keeper
Tip Top: XTCPPCT07R04.5 ALPS SS316-RRD-P Top 07 TiCH Ring 4.5 Tube - TICH w/o Chrome
Guides (see below for size and quantity): XPTCFCG ALPS SS316 - TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Ring RRD
Guides (see below for size and quantity): XTCYTCG ALPS SS316 - Y Guide TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Thin Ring
Guides (see below for size and quantity): XPTCVDTCG ALPS SS316 - TICH w/o Chrome Double Foot VD Frame TiCH Zirconium Thin Ring

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XPTCFCG07 3.5"
2nd XPTCFCG07 8"
3rd XPTCFCG07 13.5"
4th XPTCFCG07 20"
5th XPTCFCG07 27.25"
6th XTCYTCG07 36"
7th XTCYTCG07 45.5"
8th XTCYTCG08 56"
9th XTCYTCG08 67"
10th XTCYTCG10 79"
11th XTCYTCG10 92"
12th XTCYTCG12 106"
13th XPTCVDTCG20 121"

XST1382F Center Pin
Rainshadow XST Salmon Steelhead

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # XST1382F-TC 11' 6" 2pc Lt 6-10 lbs Salmon/Steelhead
Butt Cap: HDCCBC20F Hard Density Cork Composite Butt Cap w/Flare
Reel Seat skeleton: RA8L2-SKC-SG #RA8L2 Alum Skeleton w/recessed hood & Dbl locking nuts TR&Cap - Shiney Gunsmoke
Reel Seat Body: RA8L2-INS-GWG Woven Graphite Insert for #RA8L2 R/S Skeleton-Grey
Fore Grip: HEFW7.375CS-350/865 7.375" Fly Grip w/cork composite .350 bore/.865 R/S cut out Super Grade Cork
Rear Grip: RG9A-375 9" Rear Grip
Winding Check: AWCCO384-TC Aluminum Winding Check w/cut out .384 I.D. - TC
Hookeeper: TCHKS Small TiCH Hook Keeper
Tip Top: XTCPPCT07R04.0 ALPS SS316-RRD-P Top 06 TiCH Ring 4.0 Tube - TICH w/o Chrome
Guides (see below for size and quantity): XPTCFCG ALPS SS316 - TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Ring RRD
Guides (see below for size and quantity): XTCYTCG ALPS SS316 - Y Guide TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Thin Ring
Guides (see below for size and quantity): XPTCVDTCG ALPS SS316 - TICH w/o Chrome Double Foot VD Frame TiCH Zirconium Thin Ring

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XPTCFCG07 4.25"
2nd XPTCFCG07 9"
3rd XPTCFCG07 14.25"
4th XPTCFCG07 20.25"
5th XPTCFCG07 27"
6th XTCYTCG07 34.5"
7th XTCYTCG07 43.25"
8th XTCYTCG08 52.5"
9th XTCYTCG10 62.125"
10th XTCYTCG10 72.625
11th XTCYTCG12 83.625"
12th XPTCVDTCG20 98"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2012 09:31PM

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a centerpin rod?

Date: November 30, 2012 09:38PM

A center pin reel......picture a 4.5" or 5" fly reel that has zero drag. The reel runs on bearings or bushings and has zero drag. What this allows, along with a long rod, is for the bait to have a compete natural drift. Long rod allows for line to stay off the water. And also allows for a lite leader to be used to fight the fish...due to soft tip. The current takes the bai at the same speed as the current...due to zero resistance on the line an the bait.

Bait would be a single egg, an egg sack, a small jig, or even a fly.

Trust me when I say this.....it is a deadly way to fish.

Steelheaders have taken to this type of fishing( also called float fishing).

Date: November 30, 2012 09:38PM

A center pin reel......picture a 4.5" or 5" fly reel that has zero drag. The reel runs on bearings or bushings and has zero drag. What this allows, along with a long rod, is for the bait to have a compete natural drift. Long rod allows for line to stay off the water. And also allows for a lite leader to be used to fight the fish...due to soft tip. The current takes the bai at the same speed as the current...due to zero resistance on the line an the bait.

Bait would be a single egg, an egg sack, a small jig, or even a fly.

Trust me when I say this.....it is a deadly way to fish.

Steelheaders have taken to this type of fishing( also called float fishing).

Date: November 30, 2012 11:58PM

I have built rodss for that type of drift fishing for years, and never heard it called a centerpin. Must be a midwest not NW term. :<)

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns10.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 01, 2012 03:51AM

Hi Randolph,
Not just a midwest term. I'm in the land of Oz and we've called them the same for as long as I can remember. We use them for drift/float fishing mainly for Aussie blackfish (luderick) and they are deadly. Some of my most fondest memories involve float fishing with my dad with a centre pin rod and reel.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: December 01, 2012 06:58PM

Jess, are you talking about a reel like the Hardy Silex? It can be put into freespool and only when the lever is thrown does any drag come into play. You can use fingers to put pressure on the spool for increased drag. I have made dozens of these. Hardy quit making the Silex about 1985, I bought two of the last they had. Still have them and love them.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 07:04PM

Not familiar with a hardy silex.....but will look at it.

Look for a Milner, Paine falls, islander, mykiss, to name a few. Some have a "clicker" button I keep the reel from spinning during travel.

[www.google.com]

A centerpin has no drag whatsoever....and no lever to put into free spool cause its always in freespool.

Date: December 01, 2012 07:12PM

Thanks Jess, I will have to check those reels out, although I don't know of any that would be better for this type of fishing than the Hardy Silex. Too bad they are no longer made, to my knowledge. I believe I bought two of the last ones produced, and still have and love them.

Posted by: kelly chow (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: December 01, 2012 08:35PM

i have been using Raven blanks for many years, good value for the money , i have an IM6 - 13-1/2ft 3 pc great steelhead rod if you like a lighter and softer rod, IM8- 14ft lots of backbone and a RV9-13-1/2ft this blanks action is somewhere in the middle of the other two with lots of power when needed.

Date: December 01, 2012 09:31PM

I still have two great "noodle rod" / center pin blanks from years ago. One is a Lamiglas 13' S-glass and the other is a 12' Clearwater Black Graphite 12'. Both are rated for 2-6# test line, but will easily handle 8# test with judicious line and reel control. It will be fun to make a rod for one of these new "center pin" reels for them. Thanks all for the information!. Randy :>)

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: December 01, 2012 10:17PM

I have a ton of CP rods with blanks from Lews, Hardy, Raven, CTS and Batson.
The Ravens are decent blanks and the CTS is a very good but spendy blank.
I have 2 Batson XST 1562-3 rods so that must say something about them. ;)
Probably going to build another CTS as well.
Got the parts for a 13' Lamiglas ready to go this winter as well, because you can never have too many rods.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster