I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Kids Rod
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 03:49PM

Hello rodbuilders,

I just had a friend request 4 or 5 kids rods. Like the zebco barbie rods.
What do you suggest on something like this. Blank, reelseat, etc.
I figure i can do some nice eva handles w/ checkers etc. perhapse a split grip so it looks like a bass rig. Need a bullet proof blank suggetion.

Will be used in Saltwater oocasionally, anyone know of a spincast reel that can survive?
Open to all suggestions.

Thanks,

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kids Rod
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 05:37PM

I just built 2 of them kids kind of rods, I bought a Mudhole CRB rod in in blue and cut it down to like 5 foot , and rod blank I had I cut it to 4and ahalf, then got a Zebco micro reel 11, and did a static test for the guides, kinda funny cause I never did a static test for such short of rod, the reelseat needed an arbor,I drilled it a little too much for the smaller rod, so I had to use a liitle masking tape to fill in, but altogether they both came out really nice with the tiger wrap and the deco wrap. Have a good one, hope yours turn out great!

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 05:44PM

Thanks for reply Lorenzo,
I have been doing research and by the time i buy the reel ($10+?-) and the rod components ($25 +/-) i just feel thats too much invested for a 6 year old to throw into the canal, and thats not including anything for me. I am going to suggest he stick with a wally cheapy and talk to me when they get old enough for a big kids spinning outfit unless he is dead set on spending $75+ per rod.
I appreciate any other input on the topic.

Regards

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 06:07PM

Though you said he was a Friend of yours

Plus they are for Kids

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 06:12PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2012 06:50PM

I think you're right - unless he intends these to be keepsakes, it makes little sense to invest in a custom rod for a 6-year old. I have no idea how anyone can make any money on a rod they sell for $75.

What you might suggest, is buying some commercially made rods and offering to inscribe their names for 10 bucks apiece or something. Just something to customize them a bit.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 06:53PM

You're right Jim about that cost, but one of the rod is for a church friend of mine and he fishes a lot, so I hope and pray that he teaches his kid how to take care of the rod, I think I did put over $75 to build this rod, the other was considerably less since i had the blank and most of the components I had as extra stuff, either way I am sure once they start to learn to fish it will be a joy for them. Tight wraps!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 06:59PM

Your friend is not paying for the rods ???
does he want them for free ??

maybe these will help
[post.craigslist.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2012 07:23PM

Comments deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:20PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 08:34PM

Thanks for the comments.
Bill he is a friend but he does not expect to get the rods for free or do i expect to build them for free.

I like the idea of customizing a store bought with their names and a decal or something that will make them feel special and as suggested wouldn't take too long.
I will talk with him and see where to go from here.
Thanks everyone for the input.

js

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 08:55PM

Pulled from Batson's catalog. I've build a lot of these for kid's rods - and also for head boat captains who want indestructible blanks. The price is right - and I think I saw them on sale recently for around $10 each. Coupled up with middle of the road wire guides / graphite reel seat & EVA you should be able to keep the cost at or below $25

Forecast Solid Glass Multi-Purpose/Boat Rod 1 piece
Features:

• Solid fiberglass construction
• Precision ground tapers for tremendous fish fighting power
• Moderate to moderate fast actions
• Gloss black finish
• Limited lifetime warranty

Model Color Length Pcs Line Wt. Lure Wt. Butt(in) Tip Top Size Action Power Blank Wt. Application MSRP
.385X.105X72 GB 6'0" 1 12-20lbs N/A 0.385 7.0 Mod ML N/A Solid glass bottom fishing $12.15
.385X.105X78 GB 6'6" 1 12-20lbs N/A 0.385 7.0 Mod ML N/A Solid glass bottom fishing $12.79

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 10:15PM

Here is an example of rods being sold for children:

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Jeff Frei (67.54.176.---)
Date: November 29, 2012 08:55AM

When my grandkids wanted "Grandpa built" rods at ages of 4 and 6 I chose to not spend huge bucks on rods for kids that live around Chicago and almost never get to fish. I instead, bought two Pflueger trigger spin combos for $40 each. 25 for the reel and 15 extra for the rod. They turned out to be very nice IM6 combos for the price, even had limp, low memory line. I stripped them, painted one red and one pink. Fancied them up with metalic diamond wraps and "custom built for" labels with their names and were a big hit. When they get a bit older, they will get the good stuff. The reels even had a bait clicker but I don't know how they would be around salt water.

I'm not suggeting that you buy, strip and rewrap half a dozen rods for kids but as already suggested, there are a number of ways to dress up store bought rods.

Jeff Frei
a hobbiest in
Westfield, Wisconsin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 11:03AM by Jeff Frei.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: November 29, 2012 01:30PM

I have built a bunch of them and use the front part of a 5 wt 2pc fly rod. I get them for like 5.00 each from anglers workshop. they are great for kids and makes a blue gill feel like a whopper!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: November 29, 2012 10:55PM

These have held up fine. Not shown is the green one for the youngest. Lots of use!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I just did two more with PB Minima guides.

Note the matching nail polish... [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 10:58PM by Chuck Mills.

Date: November 30, 2012 03:58AM

Thanks for the comments.
I have the go ahead to build the rods. He wanted them for Christmas but that aint gonna happen, he said build them anyway.
Chuck, nice looking rigs, i like the minima guide idea and these will be spinning rods as well. Once i get the blanks in hand i will settle on a seat. Thinking skeleton because a standard seat may be too long for a small reel foot.
Great ideas so far, i appreciate the help.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 07:49AM

Look at the CUI S50ULA set up, you can find them at Bingham Enterprises, it includes handle and reel seat assembly already built. I just built two matching rods for 20 month old nephews that my customer wanted, We used Minima guides, less than $45 for material. They came out so good that my customer says he will probably use one first..

Date: December 01, 2012 09:06AM

Thanks Ray,
I have secured some short fiberglass blanks and currently on the search for some inexpensive spinning reel seats. I plan on using Minima guides as well.
The grips are my favorite part of rod building so i plan to do some stuff w/ bright colored eva. Simple wraps and a decal with the kids names.

Regards
JS

Date: December 01, 2012 12:27PM

Jim,
Why no Christmas delivery?
You have 25 days till Christmas. Each rod takes two hours, so you should be able to have them all built by the end of today.

Roger

Date: December 01, 2012 05:38PM

Roger,
I am a hobby builder. Work a 40+ hr week at my job and only spend a couple hours a week on rods. Sat morning mostly. It takes me months to finish a rod. Plus i am off for a week to mexico for my nieces wedding starting the 8th. Too much pressure to get them done. Besides that i will probabyl have 10 hours in the grips alone. Most of it staring at the bench wondering what to do next, but 10 hours non the less.
I plan in sticking to a couple builds a year for people and guide repairs when needed, leave the production stuff to you profesionals. I will build rods for money when i retire, right now i will stick to home design.
I am looking forward to the project so maybe i will manage to get them done sooner but i am not gonna tell them that.

Yall have a good evening.
js

Date: December 01, 2012 09:40PM

Jim,
Great information. Enjoy your trip and family when you travel south.
Be safe
Roger

p.s.
If you get a chance, and if you are in the right area, take some time in Mexico to do some deep sea fishing.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster