I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: U-40 Perma Gloss
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2012 07:34PM

John,

Normally, I would agree with you 100%. However there is no film on top when the can is opened and as you go lower and lower on the volume, the vacuum grows stronger and the last bit will not dispense without pressing on the can.

About all I can offer you is this: "Nevertheless, it revolves."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2012 07:39PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:19PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2012 07:44PM

I never expected it to work, but it does. Quite well, in fact.

The laws of physics can't fail, but sometimes we don't apply them correctly. There is something else going on here but don't know what it is.

Date: November 28, 2012 08:19PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:19PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh5.cm.dyn.comporium.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 09:40PM

I open the bottle, pour out what I think is enough. I then open the valve on my propane torch just a little and fill the PG bottle with propane. The gas is heavier than air so as it goes in the air is forced out. I screw the top on the bottle tightly, place it in a ziplock bag and stuff it in an old peanut butter jar with the PG bottle upside down and put it in the refrigerator, not frost free, and its ready for me the next time I need it. The bottle thats in there right now was bought at the ICRBE and opened the next day after I got home. I used some of it last week and it was still in good shape. I don't know if what I do helps or not but my PG last.

Date: November 28, 2012 10:46PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:18PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 11:10PM

Is the solvent is gassing off into the container, and filling the space with enough pressure to counteract the negative pressure (vacuum)???

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 11:18PM

One thing for sure, be VERY careful when working with PG. A key ingredient is xylene. Proper ventilation, no flames, no skin contact is very important.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-255-162.myvzw.com)
Date: November 29, 2012 07:32AM

I just checked a post that I had previously made, regarding this very subject: August of 2007. At that time, my bottle of permagloss was 2 years old. 5 years later, I am still using the same bottle. I use a little on each rod, but apparently not much!

I keep it in the fridge, nestled in a jar of silica gel (which probably doesn't do much to help, anymore).

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2012 04:17PM

I just got interested in U-40 PG and have been keeping to the smaller containers as I 'experiment.' with the stuff.
I've been using one of those co2 dispenseser($12Innovations Ultraflate Plus CO2 --see link) to "displace the air with a heavier than air alternative".
I think it's a bit safer than propane.:) then it's back in the fridge.
Might be over kill but it seems to work.
I'll get a couple of those cans from Sammy Mickel at next years show.
Sammy bring more than you did last year!

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Michael Blomme (72.171.192.---)
Date: November 29, 2012 06:35PM

John, I add a few drops of Xylene to the empty can and allow it to evaporate with the lid lightly on the can. I then fill the can with Perma Gloss and then fasten the lid on the can. When I remove some liquid from the can, a space is created above the can that becomes filled with the volatile components in the PermaGloss ( PermaGloss has a pretty strong odor and therefore it must have volatile components). Over time the amount of liquid in the can becomes sufficiently low that very little of the liquid will seep out. When this occurs, I place a light on the can for a few minutes and the increase in temperature cause an increase in the pressure of the gas which allows me to take out what I need for applying finish. My current can has been sealed for about two and half years and I will need a new can shortly. I also treat Lumiseal in the same manner. All you need to remember is if you have a gas in a confined space, the pressure will increase directly as the temperature increases.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2012 10:14AM

FWIW, the physics involved in the PG can have been laid out in this thread. The PG flows out due to the weight of the fluid above the hole. As the volume decreases there is a bit of a vacuum forming above the PG. If you tried to empty the full can in one go, it wouldn't go so well, just like pouring gas out of an unvented can. But, since you are taking a small amount at a time, you have time scales between uses that allows thermodynamics to do its thing in reaching equilibrium. After you remove PG and close the can, some of the solvents in the PG will evaporate and create a vapor cloud above the PG (just like a gas can gets a vapor cloud above the gasoline). It is the time between uses that is the key to the PG can.

Mike pointed out one very useful trick. Molecules are moving around with random energies, and once in a while one gets kicked out of the liquid and becomes a gas molecule. Once it gets kicked out becoming a gas molecule, it is much less likely go back into the liquid (see the 2nd law of thermodynamics, also the reason eggs don't go back into their shells, etc.). Just like the vapor cloud in your gas can (plastic cans will visibly change shape) will expand and contract with temperature, the vapor cloud in the PG can will expand and contract with temp. If you warm the can just before you use it, you will increase the pressure and get better flow and get more PG out of the can in the end.

Joe

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 09:55PM

Amazing information on this product !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: Pat Gardner (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2016 11:16AM

I have used Perma Gloss in the past with great results. However I am trying to find out if this can be applied in cold weather as my garage is not heated. I do not have a well vented room indoors for this purpose.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster