I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can it be fixed?
Posted by: robert heitman (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 05:42PM

I've come to this forum in hopes of ideas on how to salvage my broken Diamondback Western rod. I built this rod, my second build and first with quality components, back in 1995 when I bought this blank from the folks at The Fly Shop in Stowe, VT. Three months ago I broke the lower end of the tip section (would post pic but can't figure out how to attach pics to topic), the bottom 1 1/4" of the tip section which connects directly to the spigot end of the butt section.

I love this rod, particularly the blank design, the feel and the fact that I built it. I see my options as:

* locate another 9' 5/6 blank (near impossible)
* find someone selling a built version of this blank and take it apart (also near impossible)
* kiss it goodbye and chaulk it up to a learning experience on how NOT to cast a 200 grain integrated line

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is it possible to graft on a similiar piece of graphite rod to allow it to mate to the spigot end?

Thank you.

-Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can it be fixed?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 25, 2012 06:02PM

See if anything in here helps:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 25, 2012 07:08PM

You cannot post pictures here but you can in the photos section, you will have to register separate for that. You can fix it for sure following the instructions in the link Tom posted.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 07:13PM

It is pretty simple.
Just fine a piece of blank that when trimmed correctly is a perfect fit to slip over the other section of rod.

Then, just do a simple splice of that piece to the broken tip piece, leave the splice piece long enough to give you enough area for a good repair and then trim the tip section to leave the rod with the same length.

I would use both an outer sleeve, as well as an inner sleeve when making the repair. It should be a pretty simple fix. With the length of the repair, there should be next to no change in the action of the blank.

If you have further questions; just drop me an e-mail:

hflier@comcast.net

Roger

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2012 06:09AM

Bob, send me a private message. I have a couple of the Diamondback Classic Western Blanks and some parts for them. 5/6wts.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 08:15AM

Email Bill

If you can get a tip section that will be the best way to go

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: robert heitman (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 10:44AM

Thank you ALL for the quick and insightful recommendations! I will check in with Bill H. tonight to see what my blank options are; if not, I'm feeling more confident now there is a solution to the fix. One more question, where does one get rod blank sections or pieces to make these repair sleeves ??

Thank you again!

-Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 01:19PM

robert

From other broken rods.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster