I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with Loomis blank selection
Posted by: Al Bach (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2012 11:38AM

I am looking to build a Loomis SJR842 spinning rod. Does anyone have this blank for sale or can recommend a viable alternate?
Thanks much

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with Loomis blank selection
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 11:52AM

Loomis hasn't sold blanks in years, haven't seen dealers selling them for at least 2 years. All the sponsors to the left sell blanks as nice as the Loomis you mentioned.

Posted by: Al Bach (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2012 12:43PM

Thanks Spencer. My post was unclear. I am aware that Loomis blanks are no longer for sale, but was curious if anybody on the board had one for sale. If not, a suitable reco would be appreciated. In place of a SJR782 I am leaning toward a Batson XP842 in RX8 or IP841 in RX7. Just not sure how the action & sensitivity compares to a classic loomis spin jig version.....help?

Posted by: Kristopher Byers (---.natnow.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2012 02:29PM

You should check out the MHX blanks, I have built on quite a few of them and they seem to be very comparable to the Loomis blanks.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 03:52PM

Here's a link to the Spin Jig blanks at NFC, Gary's current endeavor ... [northforkcomposites.com].

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 04:37PM

I just built a Batson XP842 in the RX8 version.

I personally think that these RX8 blanks are equal or exceed any of the former Loomis blanks.

Awfully nice blanks.

Most of these blanks are in the $100 range, so are not so much different than the price of the loomis blanks from a few years ago.

The RX8 blanks are very very light physically, but very strong and sensitive.

Really a very big difference between the rx7 and the rx8 blanks.

Roger

Posted by: Rick Bennett (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2012 08:14AM

I have a Loomis SJ842 GL3 that I will sell.
Email me at rodman@rod-man.com or call.

Capt. Rick Bennett
Rod-Man Inc
Rod-Man Custom Rods
910-520-7661

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 08:21AM

Rick

Any 2 pc surf blanks ??

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster