I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Renzetti or Custom Power Wrapper
Posted by: tony rodriguez (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 12:33AM

I am torn between the Renzetti and the CPW. I have been hand wrapping up till now ,but don't want to buy something that I will want to upgrade later so these are my two choices. Also What are the pro/cons to the different dryer speeds (ie. 4rmp 18rpm) and do the dryers on these have slip clutches.

Also if anyone has one of the two that they are willing to part with Please let me know.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2012 12:42AM by tony rodriguez.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Renzetti or Custom Power Wrapper
Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: November 23, 2012 01:03PM

I have a Renzetti and a Pac Bay. Didn't like the Pac Bay so I got the Renzetti.

The Pac Bay is fine if you're on a tight budget and not going to build a lot of rods but as with any "budget" item there are limitations and manufacturing shortcuts. The CPW looks like a big improvement on the Pac Bay, it's also a big price jump (@ $500). But for $200 more than the price of the CPU you can buy the Renzetti.

Don

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 02:54PM

Tony,
A 3rd option is to build your own wrapper.
Think about this:
A wrapper consists of the following items.
Bed
Rod rests - one or more
Power unit, head stock and chuck,
Thread holding device.

A bed can be a simple as a board with hole drilled in it to hold the rod rests, or it can be a fine piece of milled metal to give ultra precise stations. Normally, most folks need nothing more fancy than something to hold the rod rests stable.
Rod rests - can be either purchased or made. Basically a rod rest consists of three round objects to support the rod in a triangle of the wheels. The round objects can be simple skate board bearings or similar bearings with a rubber ring on them to shelter the blanks.
The power unit can consist of a variety of motor types, styles and head stock and chuck.
Again, the thread holding device can be any of several different designs.

If you are handy and enjoy doing that sort of thing then by all means, make your own.

But, if you have other priorities, then by all means purchase one of the fine units that are on the market.

Roger

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 09:20AM

The Renzetti is set up to be more production friendly, easier to go from task to task. The CPW is lighter and much more portable, stick the 2 sections with all the accessories clamped on under your arm and go wherever you want. This includes a tailstock accessory and tool rest, if you like, for turning grips on a mandrel. The motor doesn't have what it takes for turning wood. With the pully setup on the CPW it gives you many more options than the Batson or Pac Bay, and the headstock they are attached to is an actual mini lathe headstock/chuck.
The base rail on the CPW is the same used on the Batson or Pacbay, so all accessory rail items like thread carriers,etc. are interchangable between them.
The CPW to my knowledge has not slip clutch, I've really seen no need for one, but I guess you may not miss what you haven't tried.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2012 09:46AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 11:34AM

i have friends with renzetti's and tried them, but i dont like them. everytime you move to the next guide down the blank you have to take out the thread carriage or the support. renzetti shouldve made it so the carriage slides up n down the blank without taking anything out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster