I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

removing old, old epoxy
Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.richland.edu)
Date: November 20, 2012 05:24PM

I'm trying to remove the thread wraps from an early 90's Daiwa rod. This stuff won't budge. It took me about two hours to get the guides cut loose, and what's left behind is the most stubborn epoxy I've ever seen. Tried heating with a hair dyer, lighter, alcohol lamp and hot water; to no avail. It simply will not soften.

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: removing old, old epoxy
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2012 05:33PM

What you have there is an early version of UV cure acrylic. It is VERY tough stuff (but you already know that). Your best bet is to try to get a tag end of thread and unwind the material. It's quite brittle so weak eye protection because it will come off splintering and spraying shards. I've yet to find any other way to get that stuff off.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2012 05:48PM

Same here.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 20, 2012 07:20PM

heat It

It will get soft and be easer to get off

maybe it is a urethane ??? Stripped a lot of old rods and they all seem to soften

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 09:20AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 12:01PM

Im talking about a new rod I had to strip. I took some Goof Off and placed it on the blank for about 5 min.It was not harmful to the blank. I heated the guide then ran a razor across the foot of the guide and carefully cut both ends where the wrapping. .Heated the blank again and scraped with credit card. Soaked , not wipe the remainder of the wrapping in Goof Off for 5 min then scraped with a credit card again . For a new wrapping worked like magic very fast for your old rod not sure.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 12:33PM

Gary,
Perhaps the best solution for a rod like this is a great big garbage can with a new blank pulled out of stock to do the build.

Another thing to try would be to try (say in the area of the butt) a good paint stripper. Maybe - it would help. I don't believe that paint stripper will hurt the blank, but test in a butt section to be sure.

By the way, in addition to the heat - what else are you using to remove the wraps and finish?

Are you using a blade?

Even if the finish is not too soft, normally you can cut through the finish with a razor blade. I hold a single edge razor blade at 90 degrees to the blank to scrape the unwanted material off of the blank. By holding the blade at 90 degrees to the blank, you are not going to cut a strand of graphite and lift it off of the blank. If you use a blade, do not hold it like a carving knife to carve the finish off of the blank, because you will surely slip, cut through the graphite fiber and soon have a rod that is in multiple pieces.

But as I said in the beginning, when the labor begins to run much more than about 15 minutes, your time ( and $$ per hour) value, soon outstrips(sorry for the pun) of the blank that you are trying to strip. Grab a new blank and go build the rod.

Be safe
Roger

Date: November 21, 2012 12:44PM

maybe you are not getting it hot enough ?
I have also used a candle to heat finish Just for the guide wraps

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Boughton (---.aztw.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: November 21, 2012 12:54PM

Hi I recently stripped a Century sea rod with epoxy hi-build on the wraps for rebuild. I used a hair dryer and a scraper made of bamboo. The bamboo if sharpened makes a good scraper, won't harm the carbon blank.. You will need bamboo with a dia of about 3 - 4 inchs. Cut in into longitudinal strips of about and inch wide, grind the tip like a chisel and both edges like a knife/scaper. Heat the epoxy and scape, this will remove it without inparting undue heat into the blank. The edge will last for the whole rod, one point wrap some masking tape around the bamboo to make a handle as it can be very sharp. I hope this is helpfull

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 04:51PM

Many of you are not reading the posting thoroughly. It is NOT epoxy! It is an acrylic that is impervious to heat and strippers! About the only way to get it off is by scrapping and prying, even then it will leave somewhat of a mess.

Date: November 21, 2012 04:58PM

I have taken finish off blanks with a little heat and a - dull - knife Scrapping

never found any thing really hard to get off

After scraping the finish off a good wet sanding with 220 then 400 should clean it well

Check for scratches when painting it
make sure it is DRY before painting

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 05:15PM

Bill,
Phil raises a very good point.
The Acrylic that this rod is coatd with for finish is very very hard and heat has very little effect on it.

Roger

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.richland.edu)
Date: November 27, 2012 09:54AM

Thanks Ken, for letting me know I'm not completely off my rocker. I had come to the conclusion that this was not epoxy but had no idea what it could be. You are correct, it will unwrap a little bit at a time. This is going to take quite a while.

Roger, I hear you. If this were my rod, it would already be in the scrap heap. But, this is a project for a friend. He loves this rod. He was my mentor when I first starting teaching at the college, and has since become a very good friend and my number one fishin bud, so I really need to get this done.

I owe him a lot more than this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster