I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Test Casting - What to believe?
Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 06:23PM

Took a crankbait rod I am working on out to the park at lunch and performed some test casting. Really liked the distance and line flow in most of the casts but also had a few where I saw some line slap and shorter distance. My gut tells me I didnt cast very well on the few that performed bad.

My question for the test casters that read this is which casts should I believe? Are the good performing casts a matter of luck or were the bad performing casts user error on those specific casts?

If in this situation, do you keep adjusting guide location or chalk it up to a few errant casts?

A couple casts far exceeded my expectations. Distance was pretty darn special. Others, some slap and backlash.

Thanks for your time!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Test Casting - What to believe?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2012 06:30PM

The rod can only do what it can do. The rest is up to the caster. If the rod will cast well one time, it will cast well a thousand times. Your best cast should be an indication of what the rod is capable of, when you do your part.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 06:31PM

I assume this is a baitcaster? Can you really see where the line slap is? How far is the first guide from the reel?

I'd try some adjusting. A cast that you are calling a bad cast right now might be the best cast you could make into a stiff breeze.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 06:42PM

Tom, I thought that as well but as a pretty new builder wanted to get some experience to lean on. Good points!

Russell,

Baitcasting. Yes, I saw the slap. Minor and really only happened when the cast didnt feel as smooth as the others. Guide is ~21" from face of the reel. Curado 200E. Size 10 DF.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 11:04PM

My best advice is to go cast some more and see how it performs. I have had as many bad days casting as I have had doing anything else. try again. :>)

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2012 09:34AM

Did the bad casts happen when you tried to give it a little extra power? Many times that extra effort to really get one out there is counter productive, especially casting into the wind.

Posted by: bobby stout (---.redriver.army.mil)
Date: November 15, 2012 10:24AM

Have you tried the new concept from Anglers Workshop I have it on 4 different rods, you can see and feel the difference line slap is near to none. Watch the video and try it on you next build.

Bobby Stout
Bloomburg, TX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster