I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Keeping rod in place with a hand wrapper
Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 13, 2012 03:36PM

I got all the guides put on my first rod build yesterday and got them all aligned, so now i'm down to applying the finish. I doubt i'll get to that this evening but hopefully soon. I'll post up some pics of how the guide wraps turned out before i finish it and then some of the completed project.

Here are my questions - first, do you start with the guides nearest the tip and work your way down or nearest the butt and go up? I started at the butt and went up with the under wraps and then just worked back down when doing the guides. Biggest mistake i made was on one of the middle guides, when i marked the blank for starting, middle, and end points, i had picked up the wrong guide, and so the wraps on that one are longer than they should be. No big deal.

My second question has to do with keeping the rod still when i'm wrapping. I'm using a Flex Coat hand wrapper, and with the rod resting on the three supports, when i would wind on the thread, the rod would slide back and forth. It was difficult, impossible really, to keep it in place while i turned it. I had the little velcro strap pulled down over it, but that didn't really help. Any suggestions for the next time?

Thanks,
kevin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2012 10:56PM by Kevin Kelly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Keeping rod in place with a hand wrapper
Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: November 13, 2012 03:43PM

Hi Kevin, guide wrapping direction tip to butt or butt to tip is your personal preference. I do butt to tip but have often thought I'd be better off tip to butt so I'd get the more difficult small tip end over with.

With more experience you'll develop a lighter touch so the rod won't flop around so much. Keep practicing.

Mike

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: November 13, 2012 05:10PM

Q: My second question has to do with keeping the rod still when i'm wrapping. I'm using a Flex Coat hand wrapper, and with the rod resting on the three supports, when i would wind on the thread, the rod would slide back and forth. It was difficult, impossible really, to keep it in place while i turned it. I had the little velcro strap pulled down over it, but that didn't really help. Any suggestions for the next time?

A: Rubberbands. They have enough stick to keep the rod in place. I typically just use 1 but if you really want some hold power put one on each support.

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 13, 2012 06:18PM

I use the "no damage" fabric covered hair bands the gals use to hold their pony tails. They hold well and do not scratch the blank. I don't have a problem with the blank moving on me.

Posted by: Garey Elkins (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 13, 2012 07:09PM

I used a FC hand wrapper for a while. I have my table about 2' from a wall and slide it until the butt hits the wall. Might leave a mark on the wall from time to time, bit nothing a magic eraser won't take care of. I used the rod dryer support also. The more support, the less wobble.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2012 07:11PM

I wrapped by hand for years with nothing but my lap and legs to support the blank. Use a little downward pressure to keep the blank from sliding. After a time or two it will come naturrally to you. You might also buy some aircraft cable pulllies and affix them to your supports, it will work alot better.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 12:25PM

I also use the hair bands Jerry mentions above. They work better than rubber bands as the rubber tends to "grab" the blank and make turning jerky. I use one band on each support.

If you unhide your email, I can send you a photo of the set up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2012 12:26PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 12:49PM

Never had rubberbands grab the blank or make turning jerky. Great thing about this site is your going to get quite a few different answers. Use what works best for you!

Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 03:13PM

Thanks for the replies; much appreciated.

Randolph, can you tell me more about the pulleys? Not sure that i follow.

Phil, email should be visible now. Didn't realize it was hidden before. Would love to see the pics.

kevin

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 04:23PM

Slide the finishing motor clutch up against the base of the rod butt (but not mounted in the clutch). All you have to do then, and it becomes second nature in about five minutes, is always push the rod toward the clutch.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 04:39PM

Jim, there is NO clutch on the hand wrapper!

Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 07:58PM

Right, but I think I get what he means. It does have the "self-centering chuck" or whatever they call it. Just push it up against but not into it, and let friction do the rest?

Picked up some hair bands and cup hooks on the way home. Will give 'em all a try.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2012 06:16PM

Kevin, I can send you a picture of a couple of clamp-on rod rollers that I made while still hand wrapping. I clamped them to the table top. I used 2 c-clamps, attached 2 pcs of aluminum flat stock that were drilled for the hole size of the pulley wheels, put large rubber "O" rings in the pulley grooves, and had rollers for my hand wrapping. This was 42 years ago, and I still have the roller/clamps. They still work great. Let me know where to send a pic. to. This can be made to work anywhere.

Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 15, 2012 09:52PM

Thanks. rkevinkelly@yahoo.com is my address.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster