I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
SEARBS meet
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 13, 2012 12:24AM

Hi Gents,
Monday's Searbs meet was a good one!!
I need to thank a few people. Firstly Mark Fisher who gave up his time to come along and talk to us. Not only is he very talented but an extremely nice gent also. Brought a lot of stuff all the way from Broken Hill and back and was extremely generous with his knowledge. He's welcome back any time.
To Darren Heim from American Tackle who sent us a big box of stuff a long way. To Mark Newcombe who did the organising for that.
To David Boyle from Visualwrap who sent us some very nice stuff. Definitely makes things a bit easier for the organising when you've got some give aways, so thanks for that and hopefully the members will repay those who send us goods etc.
To Ray Balmforth for providing his residence for the meet and for the excellent BBQ.
Lastly but not least I need to thank the members for turning up, especially on a Monday. Without them we wouldn't have anything. We now have a good core of keen members with diverse talent so hopefully they can be kept interested and the group will grow.
Thanks to all for participating.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SEARBS meet
Posted by: ray balmforth (101.174.166.---)
Date: November 13, 2012 02:10AM

G"day all

Was a great day indeed Col.Definitely opened my eyes up to a whole range of new ideas and methods.Having builders who make a wide variety of rods for different
applications is great.Everyone brings some thing different to the meet and its very interesting to hear the techniques used.

A big thank you to Mark Fisher for travelling so far and sorry for making you walk up and down the stairs with your sore legs.Great bloke and so helpfull hopefully we
can catch up and have a fish soon.His work is amazing and something to aspire to and is only to ready to pass on his knowledge.

To eveyone else thanks for coming as most had to travel a fair distance.Mark who wasnt to well but made a huge effort,Rod who flew down from the land of the cane toads
into cockroach territory.And all the lads from Sydney who battled the traffic was a pleasure to host you all.

And a big thank you to Col for all his backroom organizing who without none of this would of happened.

I have taken a lot from this day and feel a lot better about my work .

Only to happy to have everyone back again.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.116.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: November 13, 2012 05:58AM

Hey,

What a great day I really enjoyed meeting everyone and took.a lot away from the day.

I get.stuck into the website next week.

We really have a great group forming hopefully it will keep expanding as we grow.

Big thanks to Col and Ray for everything and how good was it to meet with Mark Fisher great guy dripping with talent and happy to share all I can say is thanks.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (101.163.15.---)
Date: November 13, 2012 06:18AM

What does SEARBS stand for? South East Australia Rod Building
Society? Mark sent me some red grain grips for free for a rod I was getting built. It was one of the things that led me to eventually doing my own. I'm now well and truly hooked!

Date: November 13, 2012 06:40AM

Hi Mark,
You've got it almost right, South East Australian RodbuilderS. Too many Marks in this bit. Mark Fisher and Mark Newcombe are both good guys. Mark Fisher is a very talented rodbuilder and quite happy to share what he knows and it doesn't surprise me he sent you something. Mark Newcombe is fairly new at the game but he has learnt very quickly and is already producing some very good stuff. He hasn't shown us all his talent yet but I for one won't be surprised at what he comes up with. Unfortunately he has been battling with cancer and I'm sure that's stopping him from going ahead in really big leaps and bounds. The group has now got ten members, mostly in the Sydney/Wollongong area and meet every couple of months to talk all things rodbuilding and we all have a good time and learn a bit, especially from guys like Mark Fisher. Anyone can join and skill level is unimportant. If you want more info then click on my name and send me an email.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (101.163.15.---)
Date: November 13, 2012 06:43AM

All good Col, I live way up in Cairns so do most of my research on how to do stuff online. Not as good as what you guys would get up to but there is still a lot of helpful stuff on the web.

Posted by: Tristan Batho (---.ryqe1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 13, 2012 07:43AM

Hi guys
I would just like to say I love these meets I learn so much and pick up a lot of tips, it's great meeting other rod builders , big thanks to Col for organizing the meet and Ray for the hospitality and venue for the day . It was good to meet Mark fisher I got alot out of him ( I already got the bait fish down on the predator wrap) thanks . Thanks Mark Newcombe for the cap and pens it was good to meet you also ill have to give you a call to ask a few questions if its ok , also thanks David Boyle for the gifts he sent down aswell . Can't wait till the next one ill see you then

Tristan
Sydney, NSW
Australia

Date: November 13, 2012 07:44AM

Hi Mark,

Send Col an email and join the group anyway even if you cant make any of the meetings you will still get the correspondance and a list of members who are all great guys. We have some exciting stuff happening as we grow and you'll be a part of that.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and its free.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com

Date: November 13, 2012 07:46AM

Hi Tristan i sent you my number call anytime mate.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 13, 2012 07:49AM

Glad to see this was a great success!! Nice work Col organizing, and the other guys for coming out and making it happen.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: November 13, 2012 08:45AM

Col.

Good job! It sounds like it is all coming together for you guys. You have a lot of positve feed back to grow on. Keep up the good work.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: November 13, 2012 01:22PM

Thanks to Billy and Bill for the kind words and yes the group is coming along nicely, up to me to keep everyone keen and interested. I get some good inspiration from both of you. Good to see Billy posting again but I think he's got more important stuff to work on. You got a mention on Monday and everyone hopes your up and running again asap, good luck.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Tim Olsen (---.static.pacific.net.au)
Date: November 14, 2012 01:24AM

Definitely was a great day and do look forward to the next one. Thanks to all and especially Mark Fisher for his time and wealth of knowledge. Hopefully I'll have a finished rod to present to you all next meeting.

Cheers,
Timo

Minnamurra, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.lns6.way.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 14, 2012 04:05AM

Hi Guys,

Finally home after a 13 hour drive straight through. The highlight of my trip was the SEARBS meeting (I worked out I'm a better rodbuilder than a mountain biker. At least rod building doesn't hurt as much!). I really enjoyed every minute. From where I'm located I don't get the chance to talk to like minded people except over the net. Thanks to all of you for making my day most memorable and enjoyable. Special thanks go to Ray for his unbelieveable hospitality. Mate people like you are very special - to treat stangers like they are family members is a great quality. Col, fantastic job with the organising. I know from experience that this often is the hardest and often the most thankless part. Finally I have to say a very humble thanks to my mate Rod from Maryborough. To make the trip all the way from cane toad territory to meet up with a heap of cockies (coachroaches) says a lot. Mate it was great to see you again. Hopefully I can get to another meeting at some stage to catch up with all of you again.

Best Regards
Mark
Outback Rods
Broken Hill
Australia.

Date: November 14, 2012 04:36AM

Hi Mark,
Glad you made it home safely. Your welcome at any meeting in the future and we'll do it what it takes to accomodate you. Only one draw back, attend more than one meet and you become a member!! Seriously, it was a pleasure to have you and your willingness to share as well as your talent make you a special person also.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.114.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: November 14, 2012 07:21AM

Glad you all had a great time, and had Mark Fisher as your special Guest. Will you be posting any Photos?

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd2.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: November 14, 2012 08:14PM

Hi All,

Another thumbs up for the SEARBS meeting.

Thanks to Col, Ray, Mark F, and Mark N, for sharing, hosting and organising.

It was good to meet other builders in the flesh and have them help you solve a problem or technique. No matter what the skill level, everyone was able to contirbute somethiing or learn something new.

I hope to find a solution for those EVA grips, just have to find an alternative supply of good EVA.

I can't wait for the next meeting - so many questions and so little time!

Well done again to all.

Richard

Date: November 14, 2012 11:54PM

Hi Steve,
I go to every meet with my camera and the best intentions of taking some shots!!! Unfortunately I get too tied up with what is going on and forget. Would have been a good meet to get some as that was our best rollup yet. Mark Fisher brought a lot of stuff that could've been shot and most people brought something along. Should've at least taken a shot of the view from Ray's back balcony. I'm planning on having a lot more SEARBS meetings so I will remember eventually!!! Steve Mcleod for a guest would also go down very well, would only cost you about $5,000 to get here and back. I'm sure somebody would have a bed for you so accomodation would be cheap!!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: David Boyle (101.162.136.---)
Date: November 15, 2012 03:40PM

Well done Col and everyone for making the meet a success. Would love to attend if I'm down that way at some stage.
Regards
Dave Boyle
www.threadcentral.net

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: November 15, 2012 09:13PM

G'Day Col sounds like everyone had a great time & I'm sorry that I had to miss it, I will definitely be at the next one .The job is winding up & I will be leaving the land of the long white cloud & arrive in Oz Tues. morning. Will contact you when I'm home

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster