I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Graphics?
Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: November 12, 2012 04:26PM

Any idea where to get graphics?

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphics?
Date: November 12, 2012 04:31PM

Posted by: Pierre SOUPLET (---.w2-11.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: November 12, 2012 04:48PM

If you have a printer (inkjet or laser), you can do them yourself with decal paper.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2012 04:54PM

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 12, 2012 05:36PM

Try this, those 2 pics were his work.

[www.rodbuildingforum.com]

Ron Weber

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 12, 2012 07:39PM

Steve Gardner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.decalconnection.com]

Okay I didnt realize that he was making them himself. I thought maybe they were something like the rod skinz or whatever you can buy from places like mudhole. He has some very striking graphics.

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: November 12, 2012 10:22PM

Ron Weber Wrote:
> Try this, those 2 pics were his work.
>
> [www.rodbuildingforum.com]
> c=26222&hl=graphics

That link sends me to the login of another site... Was I to message him there or something ?

Date: November 12, 2012 10:24PM

The more I look at his stuff the more the graphics look metallic. Unless there is something new out there I do not believe ink jet printers have the capability to print metallic.

but maybe im wrong... whatever he does they are stunning

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 12, 2012 10:32PM

Actually thought you could view it as a guest,, sorry my bad.

Ron Weber

Date: November 12, 2012 10:37PM

After a little additional research I found an article from a guy who was in the same position I am in. He apparently was able to speak with the guy whos work I am quoting and wrote a nice article on how he is generating some of his effects

[www.coloradocustomflyrods.com]

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2012 07:34AM

Casey,
After doing a lot of research on the forum for decals and graphics i also came up with the work of Nuno. The ariticle in Rodmaker about his work was amazing. I contacted him for some info and he was very helpful. I can tell you this, after purchasing the same software Mr. Paulino uses-CorelDRAW, i quickly realized that it takes years of experience with graphic software to do the kinds of things that Mr. Paulino does, which is exactly what he told me. I was an honor to corespond with him and have him critic my work. I use white packed waterslide injet media and its working fine so far for me. My graphics are simple but will get more complex as i learn the software.
Good Luck and Enjoy.

Search the forum, there is a TON of info about inkjet decals.
BTW: i was able to purchase my software through amazon at a fraction of retail. My version is not the latest version and was able to get it for about 65 Bucks

Good Luck

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.116.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: November 13, 2012 07:58AM

Hi Jim,

Corel Draw can be daunting at first but so is driving a car and pretty much everything else once you learn how vectors work your in good shape.

If you really want to hone your skills quickly lynda.com is a great way to go you can get a 7 day trial and check it out even after that its the most cost effective way to learn new software in my opinion.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Date: November 13, 2012 09:03AM

Hey everyone thanks for the help.... Im glad you mentioned Corel-Draw as I have been looking for a copy. I was trained on the software years ago when I was doing graphic design for a trophy / sign shop. In my opinion Corel would be the best program out there for doing this type of work. Most people around here are photoshop guys, but from my experience if you are doing one off work from scratch corel is the way to go.

I will say that to learn Corel in its entirely takes some time. The bootcamp I went through years ago for 3 days 8 hrs a day. At the end you could do all sorts of stuff but it was intense.

I highly advise anyone looking at doing graphics to purchase a copy and maybe find some tutorials. Its an awesome program.

Date: November 13, 2012 09:05AM

Jim Scott Wrote:
> Casey,
> After doing a lot of research on the forum for
> decals and graphics i also came up with the work
> of Nuno. The ariticle in Rodmaker about his work
> was amazing. I contacted him for some info and he
> was very helpful. I can tell you this, after
> purchasing the same software Mr. Paulino
> uses-CorelDRAW, i quickly realized that it takes
> years of experience with graphic software to do
> the kinds of things that Mr. Paulino does, which
> is exactly what he told me. I was an honor to
> corespond with him and have him critic my work. I
> use white packed waterslide injet media and its
> working fine so far for me. My graphics are simple
> but will get more complex as i learn the
> software.
> Good Luck and Enjoy.
>
> Search the forum, there is a TON of info about
> inkjet decals.
> BTW: i was able to purchase my software through
> amazon at a fraction of retail. My version is not
> the latest version and was able to get it for
> about 65 Bucks
>
> Good Luck

Out of curiosity why are you using white waerslide material. I would have thought clear would have given an effect closer to that of Mr. Pauliino. I could be totally wrong though as I have not done this work before.

thanks

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: November 13, 2012 11:33AM

Hello Casey.

The article Mr. Jim Scott is speeking of was in RM July/August 2012 15/4 pg. 22.

It's a good read.

Have a good day.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Bucky Allen (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 13, 2012 11:45AM

What printer do y'all recommend I have a Brothers and it is no good for it

Date: November 13, 2012 11:58AM

on a side note this dry transfer method I have see has me interested. I have been looking for a way to produce metallic decals ... this might just be the ticket.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 13, 2012 12:11PM

Casey, I've been using the dry transfer method from Pulsar for about a year now. Like with anything else there is a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, the results are great. You can even do two or three types of prism foils. Results are similar to the electric decals referred to in Rodmaker without the need for the special paper.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: November 13, 2012 12:25PM

Chad Huderle Wrote:
> Casey, I've been using the dry transfer method
> from Pulsar for about a year now. Like with
> anything else there is a learning curve but once
> you get the hang of it, the results are great.
> You can even do two or three types of prism foils.
> Results are similar to the electric decals
> referred to in Rodmaker without the need for the
> special paper.

Yeah the Pulsar system is what I was looking at. I have not heard about "electric decals" any info ????

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.wifi1.tusc.kent.edu)
Date: November 13, 2012 12:54PM

Casey,

Take a look at papilio.com. They sell a variety of decal media, white, clear, metallic, peel and stick, water slide, magnets, static clings and more. For rod blanks I use the white vinyl and the holo, silver and gold metallics. The holographic metallic media will really make things pop when done with an ink jet printer. I tend to keep my decals pretty simple, but you can get great results with an inkjet printer and the various media. The only issue to remember that if you are working with clear decal media that the ink is not opaque and you will need to paint, under wrap, or do something else to see the decal on a dark blank. When working with the white, or metallic media, it becomes a nonissue. Your only limits are your ability to use software to create your labels, which can be done using anything from a word processor to Photoshop.

Bucky,

My Epson printer didn't work well with the original holographic decal paper (great with all other media), but I haven't tried it on the newer holographic paper. I pulled an old 4x6 HP photo printer out of storage to use at the ORBS Gathering and it would have worked great if I had adjusted properly for the thickness of my paper. Murphy's Law was at work that day to say the least. I can't say that I've heard of too many having issues with lower priced HP printers. If I were buying one now to dedicate to decals, that's the direction I'd go.

Joe

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster