I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

marbling problem
Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: November 11, 2012 01:22PM

So I have been trying to work on marbling for the first time and am having some issues. I purchased some .5" dia pvc pipe and painted it black with some valspar spray paint for plastic. I then cit it up in sections so I could experiment a little.

My first step is to apply the clear epoxy finish to the blank. Then I apply blobs of the colored epoxy. Next I take the pick and start to drag the mixture through the epoxy... The issue is where I drag the pic the epoxy never wants to flow back together.

Anyone ever had this issue??? My first thought is that the epoxy doesnt agree with the paint but I hear of all sorts of people using spray paint to paint blanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: marbling problem
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 01:45PM

You might try to use CP. I used Valspar for plastic once and had issues with it. I'm glad you mentioned this because I had used around 4 coats of finish over Valspar and had major areas where I just couldn't get it to stay. I like to use enamel paints such as Testors and some of the Duplicolors. It comes out much thinner and better color choice.

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: November 11, 2012 04:30PM

The funny thing is that the finish doesnt fisheye or anything prior to dragging the pick through it. I would have thought that if there was something in the paint causing the finish to repel that it would happen right off the bat... very weird but at least I know im not the only one

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 04:52PM

I have tried marbling over paint. I didn't have any difficulties. I painted a section of blank with Testors' Model Master metallic paint (brushed). After it dried, I then applied a thin coat of finish to which I added drops of finish colored with Pearl Ex pigments. I did not try manipulating the colored sections with a toothpick (or, anything else), but simply let the motion of the blank being turned by the drying motor disperse the color thoughout the finish. I was very satisfied with the results.
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 10:23PM

Hit it with a heat gun. If it set up too long, the heat gun can blend it, but be careful and don't overdo it. When I let it set up a long time, I get the pick marks, but I hit it with a heat gun lightly or use a straw and blow on the area.

*Also, the main reason for the hour long wait is that my basement is low 70's or high 60's usually. It it was warmer, go with a shorter time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2012 10:37PM by Jeremy Reed.

Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: November 12, 2012 10:14AM

Yeah I have been using a torch to thin things out. It fixes the issue but I have to thin it so much that the colors run together.

Now on a side note I was able to create some crazy effects by doing this but it was not intended. From the videos I have watched people are not having issues with pick lines so im thinking that the epoxy doesnt agree with the paint for whatever reason

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2012 09:04AM

Question: The first coat of finish on which you apply the color drops. Do you add the color while this finish is still wet or do you need to let it dry before adding the color?

Corky
Corky's Custom Rods
Savannah, Georgia

Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: November 13, 2012 09:06AM

corky fleming Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question: The first coat of finish on which you
> apply the color drops. Do you add the color while
> this finish is still wet or do you need to let it
> dry before adding the color?

No I do not let anything dry... I apply clear finish then immediatly after add the colors.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster