I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wright McGill
Posted by: Jim Allen (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2012 07:24PM

I received A Wright McGill 8 foot spin rod, all guides are to rusty to clean and save, rod is in good spape and I would like to replace with new guides, doesnt have to be vintage correct I am putting it back into personal usable service.Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wright McGill
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2012 07:26PM

What is your question?

Date: November 10, 2012 07:33PM

Sorry What brand guides would you fellas recomend and sizes.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 10, 2012 07:41PM

Pac Bay Minima, size depends on reel/line used.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 04:51PM

You mention rust. That suggest salt water and inability to rinse with fresh water as often as desired. Being someone who likes multi-day party boat trips I can relate.

You might consider the guides made from 316 stainless by american tackle. Their nanolite rings seem very close to fuji's top of the line sic rings.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 04:51PM

You mention rust. That suggest salt water and inability to rinse with fresh water as often as desired. Being someone who likes multi-day party boat trips I can relate.

You might consider the guides made from 316 stainless by american tackle. Their nanolite rings seem very close to fuji's top of the line sic rings.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: November 11, 2012 08:13PM

Thanks!
Sorry I wasnt more imformitive,I decided on the minimas, they drop down to the size six that is on the upper half of this rod.

Russell not sure about the saltwater use but its possible the original owner traveled to salt water to fish. I live close to lake michigan and tributaries and plan on using this rod in it.

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.22.186.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 10:50PM

Jim,
I would look into the Micro Wave Guides , I just made a 7 ft med. action spinning rod.It took me some time to get the guides right ,but it was so much better than anything I have i am thinking of re doing all my spinning rods with them, I have 6 rods ,may take me some time to get done, all they say about the guides is true for me , I get better casts with less work ,I hit mark ,I get more distance .I am sold on them. Made by A T C. check them out on the web page.

Richard Curry
Maysville Ga.

What is life without fishing ?

Date: November 11, 2012 11:43PM

Wow!
I just watched the video, Thats got me thinking for my next build. what are they doing with the longer rods, adding extra running guides. I have to say its great to see inovations like that.I built four fly rods with the snake brand universal guides and I was amazed at the diffrence they made thanks for the suggestion Richard I will be sure to try the Micro Wave Guides on my next spin rod..
It brings up more questions for me to, like the New Guide Concept and the Micro Wave guides acheive the same results but by two different means.Im not trying to start anything just trying to understand more.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 12, 2012 02:01AM

Hi Jim,
Extra running guides are available for the micro wave sets but you must buy the microwave, reduction guides and running guides in a set, not available individually at this time.You are correct that the microwave and NGC methods get a similar result using different methods. Microwave users have said that the setup is very smooth but doesn't differ much compared to a good NGC setup in relation to distance and accurracy. Could just come down to personal preference or the look you prefer.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: November 12, 2012 01:51PM

Thanks Col.
That is good to know.
I have some extra blanks thats been patiently waiting for me to give them a life.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2012 12:08AM

Micro waves are the move now. go for it

so so smooth

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2012 12:08AM

Micro waves are the move now. go for it

so so smooth

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster