I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trimming but Want to Keep It Close
Posted by: David Patrick (---.youtorrent.com)
Date: November 09, 2012 03:16PM

Hello. Long time lurker but first time poster. Need to shorten an older Loomis blank, MB844 to fit my boat locker. Need to take off just four inches but want to keep the blank as close to original power and action as possible. I know it will change some but which end, or both, should I take the length off to at least keep it as close as possible? Thanks in advance. This forum is always helpful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trimming but Want to Keep It Close
Posted by: George Dirgo (---.dsl.bkfd14.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 03:30PM

If you trim the tip you are most likely going to "stiffen" the rod and change the line/lure wieght of the rod. If you trim the butt you will most likely "slow" the action of the rod. I'm not sure if your rod has a straight taper or not but that could also come into play. Usually rods are trimmed with the end goal of changing the action.. My advice would be that if you love the action learn to live with it or you will probably end up with a rod that will fit in your locker but you don't like it anymore. There are people on here with way more knowledge than me and I'm sure they will help you more than I can. I'm kind of from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. If I were you you I would search for a blank that has the action you desire and will fit in your rod locker.

Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: November 09, 2012 03:33PM

I would cut from the butt. Removing 4 inches from the tip will make noticeable changes. Have someone hold the tip and you bend the rod from the butt then hold 4 inches down from the tip and bend again and you will get a feel of what the cut will do.

Don

Posted by: Chad Huderle (76.164.57.---)
Date: November 09, 2012 05:11PM

Whenever a rod is trimmed the action is slowed and the power is lessened. How much is entirely dependent upon how much is trimmed and what blank you're trimming. Doesn't matter if it's trimmed at the butt or the tip. A lighter power rod will be more noticeable, a heavier rod not as much.

If you're familiar with the common cents system, try this. If your not familiar with the system this won't make much sense.

Measure the rods AA and ERN as is, that'll be your baseline.

Then to simulate trimming the tip, measure the rod with a guide taped, in your example, 4 inches from the tip. Measure the rod again and note the difference.

To simulate trimming from the butt, mount the rod in the holding device 4 inches further up from the baseline measurement. Measure the rod again and note the difference.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 07:26PM

David,
All of the comments are right on, but often, there is so much feel in the tip, that I virtually never trim from the tip.
If the rod were mine, I would remove the length all from the butt of the rod.

By the way, Another option would be to cut the end out of the rod locker so that the rod would fit into the rod locker without changing the rod.

Or, use the rod and never put it into the rod locker and then you don't need to trim it either.

I suggest the above two options, since it sounds like you really like the rod like it is.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster