I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Clear thread
Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: November 08, 2012 11:01PM

I am wrapping a rust colored lamiglas blank and i wanted to have it look like i used clear thread. Is that just regular nylon thread with no CP on it to get that look? I want to see the snake guides clearly with no color. Thanks!

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clear thread
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 08, 2012 11:17PM

Use white silk thread, no CP and then finish.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (101.163.15.---)
Date: November 09, 2012 06:38AM

What if you used mono fishing line? Has anyone tried that?

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 06:49AM

Unless you wrap the mono with really wide spaces between wraps, it will reflect light back , and be visible.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 06:49AM

Unless you wrap the mono with really wide spaces between wraps, it will reflect light back , and be visible.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 07:08AM

Its going to be a heavy duty rod so i dont want to use silk. 12wt fly rod for Salmon in Alaska.

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2012 07:55AM

you don't want to use mono either.
it will break down and weaken, eventually breaking just like it does when left on the real to long

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: November 09, 2012 08:08AM

Hello Kevin.

I've used white nylon with no CP and you can see through it but there is a bot of white haze or slightly milky (skim-1%) looking.
If this comes up the white has no CP and you can see through it, it just looks a little milky.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2012 09:08AM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 08:11AM

I don't think you will experience any failure using silk thread. This is from another board (fiberglass flyrodders):
[fiberglassflyrodders.com]

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 10:05AM

I've used white nylon "on cp" and not had a problem....
Give it a try...
Jeff

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2012 10:15AM

I'll agree with Ken, silk is pretty strong and I'm sure you'll be using double foot guides, so you will have 2 points of contact for each guide on the blank. If your looking for that "clear" look, white silk is really the only one that will totally give you that. Get a spool of silk and test the break strength with your hands and compare it with size A regular nylon.
Years back when only Bamboo was available to fisherman, those rods were wrapped with silk, many of them are still around, still in use, and saw service landing Kings. Doubt many guides popped off due to fighting fish.

Posted by: Craig Mullins (12.47.193.---)
Date: November 09, 2012 12:21PM

Has anyone used transparent Nylon thread?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 12:36PM

Silk is stronger than nylon! If you want crystal clear wraps, use silk and dilute the first coat of epoxy to thin it almost to water consistency, follow with regular finish coat. Mono is not the way to go! It stretches too much and breaks down with exposure to sunlight. Believe me, you will not have a strength issue using silk!

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 02:12PM

When you say rust colored blank, I am thing you mean an S-glass blank. Why not use rust colored thread with no CP. That would make it look like the guides were growing out of the blank/.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 02:12PM

When you say rust colored blank, I am thing you mean an S-glass blank. Why not use rust colored thread with no CP. That would make it look like the guides were growing out of the blank/.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2012 03:04PM

None of the so-called transparent threads turn out that way once epoxy is applied to them.

As others have said, white silk with warmed, thinned varnish is the only way to get an absolute clear appearance. It is possible to thin epoxy with denatured alcohol to obtain a very nearly transparency.

While adding solvents to an epoxy is not necessarily the best idea around, this is what you'll have to do to achieve what you want. The reason that denatured alcohol is preferred over acetone for this process is that it takes longer to evaporate than acetone and therefore increases the time for the epoxy to fully soak into the silk. However, some have used acetone for this process and had good results.

The photo page has many examples of clear guide wraps. Most include a formula for how the builder achieved it.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 04:10PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Silk is stronger than nylon! If you want crystal
> clear wraps, use silk and dilute the first coat of
> epoxy to thin it almost to water consistency,
> follow with regular finish coat. Mono is not the
> way to go! It stretches too much and breaks down
> with exposure to sunlight. Believe me, you will
> not have a strength issue using silk!

Absolutely correct. I have landed 150# tarpon with Gossamer silk binding Fuji MNSG guides. It won't be an issue.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: November 09, 2012 04:32PM

Where can I purchase some Gossamer silk?

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 07:07PM

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 08:38PM

Perfect, thanks Jim.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster