I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Deep Diver Rod
Posted by: Chatham Hill (---.sub-75-216-49.myvzw.com)
Date: November 08, 2012 09:49PM

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has some experience using or building an MHX CB905-blend or CB907-blend? Im looking to get a new deep diver rod. I already have a CB845-blend and works great but I am thinking about a 7'6 rod just to get a little extra distance. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 907 is more of a strictly deep diving crankbait rod where as the 905 is a little more versatile? Anybody that has experience with either of these rods let me know what you think. Will mainly be throwing 6xd or DT16.

Thanks fellas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Deep Diver Rod
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 08:28AM

The Batson 7'10" MH glass crankin' rod may be one to look at as well.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: November 09, 2012 09:44AM

I have built CB845 and CB905, both are great. I have a CB845 on the drier at present for a customer.
You have to consider where and how you use it.
Tip up the longer rod is better. Front of the boat tip down casting conventional wrap, you could maybe have the tip in the water too much on a 905.
Personally for my own rods using treble hook rigs i like the Seeker RF's Swampland have.
But i fish tip up wrapped for spinning.
They also carry the MHX's so you could talk to Lance and see what he thinks too.
You could make an argument for the RF806 cut down to the length you want if your lures run up to 1.5 oz or I like to stretch the 705 a few inches.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2012 01:41PM

Lou gives some good advice. Those RFLEs are phenomenal. For most of my cranking, I use 765 with a tip and butt trim to 7' (blank comes in at 7'8"-7'9" with the tip untrimmed). It handles everything from 1/4oz. square bills up to lures the size you are using just fine. For a dedicated deep diver rod, I might start with one of the 6 power blanks or take a smidgeon more off the tip of the 765. Even though the physical blanks are a bit heavier than the graphite cranking blanks, they aren't nearly as tip heavy as you would expect due to the taper and mass distribution of the blank.

Give one a try, I think you'll be impressed.

Joe

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 04:02PM

The Seeker blanks are lighter than you might think. Watch this video to the end. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Brook Oliva (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2012 04:57PM

Hi Chatham,
No need to correct you! Your assessment of the 905 & 907 MHX blanks you inquired about is pretty much spot on. Your choice would really come down to whether you want to use the rod specifically for deep diving/big bait (CB907), or you have the versatility (the 905). Either way I think you would be more than satifisied...and you wont have to trim them ;). Let me know if there is anything we can do for you.

Kind Regards,

Brook Oliva
Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc.
brook@mudhole.com
(866)-790-RODS

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: November 13, 2012 07:40AM

Hello Brook.

The only 905 or 907 I could find in your catalog was a listing for a "CSB907", these CB905 & BC907's you speek of, where can I find info on them and where can I purchase them?

Thanks.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: November 13, 2012 10:56AM

Bob,
I was referring to the CB905-Blend & CB907-Blend which Chatham had inquired about. They are located on page 35 of our 2012 catalog listed under Crank Bait Blanks. They can also be found on our website here [www.mudhole.com], listed under BLEND blanks.

Kind Regards,

Brook Oliva
brook@mudhole.com
(866)-790-RODS

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: November 13, 2012 12:14PM

Hello Brook.

My bust I saw Jim's name in there and jumped right to SEEKER, I found them in the MH catalog.
I noticed you can get the CB905 in white "CB905-W-Blend", I might have to break down and buy one to see, I just ordered two "FS904-W-MHX".

Thanks for the info.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: November 13, 2012 05:27PM

No Problem Bob!
A few models of the white were added earlier this year and have been received really well. I love building on the white MHX they really pop! Let me know if we can help you at all in the future. Thanks for your continued patronage and support!

Kind Regards,

Brook Oliva
brook@mudhole.com
(866)-790-RODS

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster