I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

business question for the members
Posted by: ed fisher (---.vectro.com)
Date: November 08, 2012 04:11PM

how long do you guys feel is right to wait before you sell a rod or repair you have done for somebody and that certain somebody has not bothered to come pick the rod up? I have run into this a couple times already this year. One guy said he was coming to get his custom rod and then a month went by and no show. Another call and another promise to come get it. same with a repair job but that guy just will not return my calls. has been ninety days in both cases now.

if neither had paid anything I would not worry about selling the stuff. but the custom rod has been paid for fifty percent and the repair job has been covered for the parts portion. I would guess that if I did sell them that if the guys came by eventually I should return their deposits. or do they forfeit that money by not coming to get their stuff in a timely manner?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: business question for the members
Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: November 08, 2012 04:20PM

I cant remember the specifics from my business law class but if im not mistaken you must wait a certain amount of time then its considered to be abandoned property. The time period may very from state to state im unsure... Just document everything and follow the law and you should be good

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 08, 2012 04:21PM

You can sell them - only if you have given them a - Written Agreement - that it says after a certain amount of time it is yours to do with as you wish
I am sure the wording can be done better

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 08, 2012 04:27PM

I believe this issue comes under something known as a "bailee's lien." You might do a little research on that topic or ask an attorney friend if you have one.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2012 04:36PM

I believe you would have to have it in writing and be specific as to the time that they have to pick up the merchandise before it would be considered to be abandoned. I have always had the customer pay 50% of the cost of the rod up front just to make sure my costs were going to be covered. The balance was paid when delivered, or if it had to be sent, payment in full before sending it.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: November 08, 2012 05:13PM

I have it in my agreement. basically you have 45 days after i contact you unless other arrangements are made. at day 30 I usually call and remind them. I've only had one person leave their stuff and then i ended up holding on to it for another year before i got rid of it.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 08, 2012 10:02PM

Picking up repairs used to be a real PIA for me. People would leave them all winter until they needed them again. Since I started making ALL customers sign a paper stating they had 30 days after I notified them to pick up their rod (unless arrangements were made) or it would become my property and disposed of with NO refund. I haven't had any not picked up

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 04:39PM

I must be too easy! As long as I had a down payment, or the cost of materials are covered, The customer will recieve three courtesy calls, then I set there toys in a back room rodrack. Eventually they show up. I've actually had one rod sit for three years. The customer had a stroke and totally forgot about the rod until his nephew came by with him to get a reel repaired. When he walked in my shop it jogged his memory and he sure was glad to have his rod. E,P.

Posted by: Corey D. Magill (---.lightspeed.btrgla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 08:58AM

Three years! You have two customers that will share that story and may give you some new clients.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 11, 2012 04:05PM

Corey D. Magill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Three years! You have two customers that will
> share that story and may give you some new
> clients.

Well said Corey!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster