I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Big Fingers vs Micro Guides
Posted by: Richard Fleming (68.47.190.---)
Date: November 06, 2012 08:34PM

guys ..i am no small feller.....6'7"....315 lb....a Basketball Palmed in my hand looks like a Volley Ball.........how on earth do i get those # 4 and # 3 MICRO GUIDES on the blank......:( any suggestions is appreciated......
Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Big Fingers vs Micro Guides
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 08:56PM

I use glue runners. It has a tacky glue that you can role on the guide foot. Put it on the blank and wrap it. Since a buddy showed me these I have significantly and decreased headaches and time spent while wrapping guides.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns13.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 06, 2012 09:42PM

Hi Richard,
The little critters take a bit of getting used to but it gets a lot easier the more you do. Everyone has their own method, for me I find sewing elastic is the easiest and it's easy to make any adjustments when required to move them. With your size they're always going to be a bit of a problem, but perservere and you'll get there.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Richard Fleming (68.47.190.---)
Date: November 06, 2012 10:01PM

thanks guys.......i have both...The Glue Runners as well as the Sewing Elastic......i will experiment with both to see which one serves me the best,,,,,,,,,
you guys have been so much help over the years.....no matter how stupid the question......someone always has the patience to offer their advise......
i am grateful to all of you .....past and present helpers....
thanks so much
Richard

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2012 02:50AM

Richard,
For the small guides and or small blanks, I prefer to use the appropriate sized elastic bands.

If you search, you can find elastic bands in sizes ranging from about .05 inch on up to multiple inches.

Pick out a selection of the typical size blanks and or blank sections that you are likely to encounter on a typical rod build.

Then, when you go to build the rod, simply slip the number of bands that equal the number of guides, plus one or two - in case one breaks when aligning and go ahead, place your guides and wrap them.
The binders do a wonderful job of just letting you slip the guide foot between the binder and the blank. Also, the use of a binder makes for very easy adjustment of both guide position, as well as guide orientation.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: November 07, 2012 09:58AM

Always nice to have options.....so I'll mention a very different way.

Don't place the guide on the blank, just mark where you want it. Start your wrap as normal, get about 5 turns, now place the foot of the guide under the thread as you continue to wrap. That is right, just wrap right over the guide's foot with half of it sticking out. Get about ten wraps, and while keeping tension on the thread, wiggle the guide forward untill the guide foot just "pops" under the wraps. The first few/several times you wil pull the guide all the way out and have to start over again.

It takes a little practice but it is one way to go about it. If you can't get it under and burnished you can always wrap up the guide and then turn around and wrap right back over going down the guide. Once the finish is on you can't tell it is two layers of thread and the extra weight isn't much to speak of.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2012 11:27AM

I find wrapping the micros backwards actually seems to work rather well. Start on top of the foot and head down the foot. I find that the taper is so small that it does not affect the thread slipping off the end of the foot as with larger guides if this was attempted.

Posted by: Jack Tener (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2012 01:40PM

Where can one get these glue runners?

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 07, 2012 01:49PM

I have been buying mine at Hobby Lobby. They are great. You can still move the guide and it will hold on the blank while turning at 80 rpm or so. You just roll the glue off onto the guide foot and stick it on the blank. It has worked for micros and larger size 20 boat guides.

Posted by: Capt alan beck (---.txr.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 08, 2012 06:43AM

zip ties work real good 4inch

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 08, 2012 08:54AM

check these out

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 04:41PM

Roger; I have searched the web and have not been able to find the .05 inch elastic bands that you mentioned in your post. If you would be so kind as to forward me a web site so I may find these I would be great full.

Thanks

Corky
Corky's Custom Rods
Savannah, Georgia

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 05:08AM

I still use the Rubber bands from the Ortodontists. the small ones used for braces

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2012 08:58AM

Thank you Roger for your e mail. I have ordered some today.

Corky
Corky's Custom Rods
Savannah, Georgia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster