I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Preserver
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 06:14PM

Question: Do 2 coats of CP do anything more than 1 coat? I put 1 coat on and then put a 2nd on the butt section and began to wonder. Do I really need 2 coats?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Preserver
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2012 06:26PM

In most cases, no. A wet first coat is generally enough to seal the thread. However, a 2nd isn't likely to harm anything. If I were putting a light colored thread over a very dark colored blank, I might go ahead and use 2. Although, you'd still be likely to lose a shade of color in that situation.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns13.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 06, 2012 06:27PM

Hi Bruce,
Depends what thread your using. Stuff like madeira definitely needs more than one coat but most of the rodbuilding threads will get away with one. It's not going to hurt anything but you could do some testing on a scrap blank and see if there is any colour change with extra coats or any other issues with finish.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: November 06, 2012 09:52PM

I'm just using the regular nylon Pac Bay brown thread.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2012 07:21PM

Bruce,
Just so you understand. There is no build reason to put CP on anything.

The only reason that folks put CP on a piece of thread is to preserve the color. Other than that, there is no structural reason to put the CP on the thread.

If you use the regular Nylon Pac Bay brown thread, the finish applied directly to the thread darkens the thread and tends to make it a bit transparent.

I personally never put CP on any thread, unless there is a specific client request for the CP.

I much prefer to match the color of the blank with the thread in a finished state. So, I normally will pick a color that is a bit lighter than the blank. Then, when the finish is applied, the finish darkens a bit and tends to blend right into the blank.

If I want a color to stand out - I will use metallic, which also does not require any CP and the thread color will stay true with no CP applied to the thread.

I expect that you already know this information, but if not - I trust that it might help a bit.

Roger

Date: November 08, 2012 06:00PM

Thanks, Roger. You won't believe it, but the reason I use CP is because it's easier to remove the thread and guide if I need to make a replacement. Is that a good reason? I replaced guides on a fiberglass rod for a buddy and it was so hard and painstaking to get the old finish off the rod I about blew a gasket.
Bruce

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.155.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: November 08, 2012 06:12PM

Bruce, if you apply a little heat to the finish on the guide or wrap it will soften it and make it fairly easy to remove with a knife or blade.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster