I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

eye recommendation
Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: November 06, 2012 02:38PM

Looking for recommendations on a brand of eye to use. A majority of the rods I build are in the 8-10 foot range and are used for float fishing. Guys typically use these rods with a garcia bait casting reel throwing roughly 1-3 oz .

Looking for a good middle of the road eye to use for my builds. One of the biggest complaints I get, and a reason I get the work I do, is typically from a guy who purchases a crappy rod with crappy eyes and after a year or two of use have cuts in the eyes from usage. Looking for something thats going to allow 7+ years of weekly usage without this being a concern. Not looking for the lightest titanium blah blah eye as weight is not a big concern. Just looking for a quality economical product to use.

any thoughts???

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eye recommendation
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 02:42PM

What is wrong with the two you have in your head? :>) Just joking. buy SIC guides or eyes as you call them, they don't wear out.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 03:28PM

I like to call them guides. it sounds a little more professional

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.72.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: November 06, 2012 04:04PM

They're almost always refered to as "Eyes" here in the U.K. but i call them guides. A lot of rod builders in the U.K. also call thread finish "Varnish" I call it "Finish" but sometimes i refer to it as varnish to save people getting confused etc and asking what is finish?

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Don Morse (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 04:14PM

Seems a lot of my customers have poles with eyes that need fixin'........geez

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns13.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 06, 2012 04:24PM

Hi Steve,
Trust the Poms to call them something else!! In the Land of Oz they've always been guides. Think I'll stick with Lance.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 04:30PM

I have had a number of people over the years that wanted a Pole made for them. As gentley as possible I tell them that a "Pole" is something you go out and cut down,, but a fishing rod is something entirely diffferent!! I have had customers who treated their rods like poles. One just paid for a $400.00 rod, then took it out and droped it in the back of his open PU Truck, I was cringing as I watched him drive away. Go figure!!

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: November 06, 2012 04:49PM

I have yet to hear of any grooving with the Minima 3 or 4 guides.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 05:31PM

Casey,
I really know of no guides being sold in the popular market place today that have any grooving issues.

But, I suppose that there always exceptions.

Do you have examples or models of guides that have been proven to you to have grooving issues?

Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2012 05:50PM

If you're after an "economical" guide that will provide good service and years of use, it would be hard to beat any of the common aluminum oxide guides. Most of the rings sold by the better known companies don't have any problem with their rings grooving.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: November 06, 2012 05:58PM

Did anybody go xenophobic??? "Seems a lot of my customers have poles with eyes that need fixin'........geez"...??? Me, comin' from ze Poland pliss I 'ave no national recommenation. Quite honestly, we 'eren find Fuji guides/rings (whatever) are unparallelled. But then I have personally used Pacific Bay and Batson guides and have had no complaint from myself whatsoever. Both have performed quite up to the expected standard. Cheers,
Fatso alleged criminal

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 06:14PM

Hardaloy or as Tom Recommended Alum Oxide. I've had the same set of Fuji Hardaloy Guides on my Surf rods since 2003 using 50# braid catching a lot of large Stripedbass. I use alconite or Sic tip tops

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.90.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: November 06, 2012 07:57PM

Col Chaseling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Steve,
> Trust the Poms to call them something else!! In
> the Land of Oz they've always been guides. Think
> I'll stick with Lance.

Hi, Col. ha ha. It's mainly the customers who refer to them as that more than the rod builders. I've heard them in the local tackle shops here saying " i need some eyes for my rod" or when they come round to my place with a rod for an eye repair.... sorry, i mean guide repair, they bring the guides with them sometimes and say "can you whip these eyes on for me please and varnish them" i've replied to that sometimes with; " No, but i can wrap your guides on and epoxy finish them for you if you like" they usually reply with; er... what!?

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: November 06, 2012 10:46PM

LOL Okay, after reading through the responses I did get a slight chuckle. I guess I just grew up calling them eyes, and most of the people I have built rods for do as well. So eyes... Guides... whatever lol

Anyways, thanks for the help. I have a better idea on the material I should be shopping for and was referred to a couple different vendors which seem to have some good offerings

thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster