I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New to this and need advice!!
Posted by: Ben Helton (---.dsl.spf2mo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 03, 2012 06:46PM

Hi everyone. Like most others i started fly fishing and before long i was tying my own flies. Naturally, i have come to the point where I am ready to build my own rod. I have done lots of research and i'm leaning towards buying the im7 fly rod kit from Cabelas. I like that it has everything i need including instructions. I don't want to spend a fortune on my blanks and other supplies for my first rod. After reading some of the topics i understand that building a rod is not necessarily a way to save money. The kits cost's $95 and this leads me to my first question. Will this rod, if built correctly (keeping my fingers crossed), perform like a $95 retail rod or would it perform better/worse? My last question is a pretty simple one. I trout fish with 5 weight sink tip line and throw lots of heavy flies (clousers, wooly buggers, streamers). Am i correct is assuming a 5 weight, 9 foot, fast action rod is going to fit me best?

Any and all advice is welcome!

Thanks everyone!

-Ben

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to this and need advice!!
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 03, 2012 07:04PM

My first rod was a 6` 6`` spinning rod kit from Cabelas for $49.95. I was very happy with it. If it wasn`t so ugly, I would still be using it.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2012 07:11PM

The whole thing about making your own rod is that you can make it to FIT YOU!! Blank, guides, wrap colors, grip, reel seat, etc. etc. You are the one who decides what your rod will end up being! You don't have to settle for what someone else thinks you should have. That is it in a nutshell. If done right it will perform at least as well and in most cases better than a factory rod if you chose the right rod building components and are careful in building the rod. Go for it. Randy

Date: November 03, 2012 08:38PM

Thanks for the input gentleman. The kit is ordered. Now it's time to turn a microwave motor into a rod turner/dryer. Love this site! I was not expecting such quick responses.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 04, 2012 11:37AM

Welcome Ben. A little advice from an old builder. Randolph's advice of custom building to fit YOU is dead on. That is what you will evolve too anyway.Kits are a great way to start but just that 'START". You say you are already a fly fisherman. What action 9' rod do you cast well with now? Build on that action or a tiny bit faster and you'll be fine. Early on advice: Go slow and really have your ducks in row when it is glue time.. Rod Bond gives you lots of time on handles. Denatured alcohol is great for general cleaning and most all rod work and works in your flame lamp. GREAT LIGHTING MAKES EVERTHING EASIER! A scalpel is wonderful for thread work. Tom's rod building book is a solid bible for builders. Guide spacing tables are very general. As soon as you learn to Static Test for your spacing, you will be freed for the rest of your building career. It is not hard to learn and is especially helpful with fly rods. A few pennies in a bag will give you a very accurate look at the true load of your rod. Butt guide is going to come out approx 30"- "32' from the end of the rod. Almost all finishes will do a very nice job. READ the instructions and simply follow them. Be sure your rod is level when you apply your finish. Too much finish leads to 'football' shaped guide. Finish will naturally level. When you have all your finish on, stop the rod for about a minute with the guides up. Let the finish level and the extra finish drip down or hang in a gob underneath. Take a thin needle and wick that under drop off. Go fairly quick and is doesn't have to be perfect. Once all guides are wicked, start the rod turning again. If there happen to be a bunch of tiny bubbles at this point, hit them lightly with a heat gun while they are turning. Don't over do this. Enjoy your first rod. Keep it as the 'template' of your building. It may become your all time favorite!

Posted by: George Dirgo (---.dsl.bkfd14.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 04, 2012 05:14PM

A kit is a great way to get over the "anxiety" of your first build. My first rod was a Cabelas kit. If the Cabela's kits have not changed ( mine was built many years ago) I would reccomend buying more epoxy than is supplied with the kit. I think my first kit just had a couple of packets of 5 min epoxy. I would reccomend getting a epoxy that gives you more working time and some decent rod finish. I did not use the epoxy supplied with the kit. I also did not care for the thread colors provided so I ordered colors that I wanted. So keep in mind that even though the kit will supply the necessary components for you first build you will still want to get all the consumables that you will need to finish the rod. I have a feeling that once you build a kit you will begin planning your next build. As mentioned previously static testing is important but your kit will most likely not have enough guides so I would build the kit with the recommended guide spacing but put static testing on your list of things to learn/do... As Steve mentioned take your time and you will end up with a rod that is very fishable and pleasing to the eye. Just keep in mind that this is a addiction. I just wanted to throw in my two cents....

Date: November 04, 2012 07:24PM

Steve and George, Thanks a lot for taking the time to give such thorough advice. Its nice to hear these things from those with lots of rod building experience. You both brought up some things that I hadn't thought about yet. Thanks again for the welcome and i'll be sure to post more questions as they come up.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: November 04, 2012 10:46PM

Look at the kits from Janns NetCraft too. Nice blank, and the kit is complete with everything you need.

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: November 05, 2012 02:45PM

Ben,
The jann's kits also come with plenty of epoxy for building with, I should know I supply it to them. :) Good luck with your new obsession
Scott Parsons

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.79.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 07:55PM

Ben,

I would like to say , If you have an old rod that you don't use , take all guides off ,clean blank , now redo the guides, this will help you learn what not to do before you build on that $100.00rod kit.The practice will help make you a better new rod. Also try www.youtub.com/rod building. I got my first wrapping threads from www.mudhole.com That was the start of my addiction to the art of rod building, I love it . Where do you live? I am in Ga. Good luck . With all you have on this topic you will get hooked like the rest of us. L.O.L

Richard Curry

Maysville Ga.

What is life without fishing ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster