I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bullet in handle
Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.vikingpallet.com)
Date: October 30, 2012 09:04AM

Hey Fellas,

I'm making a rod for my cousin as a xmas present an dhe's a big deer hunter. I wanted to carve a slit in the wooden handle, put a rifle bullet in it slit and fill it with epoxy?

Will this work? and any tips on how to fill the slit so it stays even with the handle? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bullet in handle
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2012 09:13AM

If you do not reload, please find someone who does and ask them to pull the powder and primer.

Date: October 30, 2012 09:40AM

Of course

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: October 30, 2012 12:31PM

Jon,

I can't answer on the other forum from work so I'll give you a response here.

Epoxy won't be the answer here but maybe something can be done with casting resin like the ice rod I did with the arrowhead inlaid in it.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Give me a call and I'll help you out.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 12:32PM by Chad Huderle.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2012 02:48PM

I agree with Chad. Casting resin is the way to go.

Date: October 31, 2012 09:30AM

Ok I've never used casting resin before so I will give you a call later on next week Chad before I go ahead and do it!

Thanks for the help!!

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 08:24AM

I have done it a few times without issue on spent 5.56 rounds. I cut the shell in half or a little more. core the butt so it fits very snug, and epoxy from the inside allowing it to fill the inside of the shell as well to form a one peice bond. My Army buddies fish them hard without issue. I do not put a top coat on them, if the tarnish, and they will, 5 seconds with some brasso solves the issue. I prefer the weatherd look myself.

Eric

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster