I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod varnish + supports
Posted by: Mike Anliker (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 27, 2012 10:04PM

Can anybody give me an idea of how to support the rod while its turning as I put rod varnish on? I'm baffled because where do you put the supports if the whole rod is covered with varnish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod varnish + supports
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 10:08PM

Not sure why you would apply the varnish while turning. Usually it is done by wiping the varnish the length of an upright rod. Are you applying before wrapping the guides or after? Is it bamboo or other?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 10:12PM

bamboo, glass, graphite,? what and why are you finishing the whole shaft?

Date: October 27, 2012 10:59PM

I have a graphite rod that I painted and want a hard finish over the paint. Should I not use varnish? I figured that if I did use varnish that I would have to have it turning in order to prevent sagging. I assume I'm wrong. Sorry, I'm new to the hobby, lol.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 27, 2012 11:05PM

Hi Mke,
If you have a painted rod then varnish is a long wat from being the best covering. Automotive clears is good and has worked well for me while water curing urethanes work well for others. Varnish doesn't tend to last very long and starts to flake off. For automotive finish two part polyurethane with flex additives is the best I have found

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2012 11:08PM

Mike, the rods that I have painted have all been "clear coated" after the paint. I use Krylon Fusion Clear spray paint. It is rather thick, so you have to spray each coat very light. It dries quick also. Depending on what type of varnish you have, it may peel the paint off of the blank you just painted. Two of the rods I used it on are used heavily in tournaments and have held up well since 2 years ago.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: October 27, 2012 11:11PM

Thanks for the info. I have Minwax spray polyurethane, do you think that will work? FYI, I don't have any guides, grips or reel seat on the blank yet.

Just out of curiosity, what do most guys use the rod varnish for?

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 27, 2012 11:23PM

Hi Mike
Tradition, mainly on bamboo rods.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2012 02:25PM

I would suspend the blank either by the tip or butt from a rafter in the garage and either spray or brush on a clear coat. That is after testing on a scrap blank to be sure the clear coat and your paint were compatible.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 28, 2012 02:31PM

if you want a hard finish that is easy to wrap over cause it is as hard as the clear coating factories coat there rods
I would go with a LumiSeal applied with a 3 Buy 3" piece of folded piece of cheese cloth I did the sponch and it tended to put bubbles in the finish

Do a search here of - coating a blank or - painting a blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.68.---)
Date: October 28, 2012 06:22PM

Whatever you do, please don't use the Minwax spar urethane in the spray can. It makes the blank look very rough. I also tried the Minwax spar urethane in the liquid. As recommended previously, use a couple pieces of cheese cloth to apply a thin layer of the spar urethane and, while it says you can work with it w/in a few hours, just let it dry overnight before you either sand and/or apply another coat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 08:41PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Matthew Nelson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 29, 2012 01:51AM

Here is how I do it.

Figure out how long the handle will be and mark the rod two inches short.

Set the rod in the dryer and put one support as close to the marking on the rod blank you just made toward the butt end. You might have to clamp the dryer and the support depending on length and weight of the blank.

Then using automotive paint mix all parts well and apply using airbrush. You are painting the rod just like a car with a flexible coating.

Put the coats on every 15 minutes then apply the automotive clear at least three coats again one every 15 minutes to get the maximum uv protection.

Let dry and you have a perfectly painted rod blank.

If you have a few dust speckles buff out with an automotive micro polish after the rod is completely assembled as the polymers in the buffing compound will interfere with the bonding of the epoxy over the thread wraps.

I painted some blanks Chrysler Plum Pearl using this method three years ago and they are good to go.

If you want a method that is less painfull it will be less professional and in the end wont last nearly as long before it starts cracking or peeling.

Three years ago it cost 100.00 for the first blank in paint and mostly labor to paint a rod. As long as you were doing more than one at a time each additional rod was about 30.00.

Posted by: Mike Anliker (---.scansafe.net)
Date: October 29, 2012 07:45AM

Thanks for the info everybody!

Posted by: bobby stout (---.redriver.army.mil)
Date: October 29, 2012 05:37PM

There is an article that on here that tells how to apply U-40 with an air brush it worked great for me. Make sure to follow direction closley

Bobby Stout
Bloomburg, TX

Posted by: gaston arnold (---.sub-174-253-208.myvzw.com)
Date: October 31, 2012 12:33AM

I worked in the auto body field for awhile and in my experience flex agents in automotive paint are not long lasting they are intended to stay fexible for the instulation of a part ie plastic bumper cover and then will harden like normal but auto paints are very flexible I just would not spend the money for a flex agent

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster