I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Netcraft Berkley SS304 guides - Similar to Minima's?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 11:42AM

Does anyone know if the Berkley SS304 guides from Netcraft are very similar to Pac Bay Minima's? In particular I am looking at the all chrom (ring and frame) spinning guides.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Netcraft Berkley SS304 guides - Similar to Minima's?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 27, 2012 03:15PM

I can't say for certain, but I believe those are Minima guides, under whatever name they want to call them.

Date: October 27, 2012 04:23PM

Thanks Tom!

Thanks - Marc

Posted by: Gary Weber (---)
Date: October 27, 2012 07:11PM

I asked the same question on a different forum. I was told that they are the same as the minima 3. I ordered some from netcraft and used them with an aluminum oxide tip. I have not fished them a lot yet, but no problems so far.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 28, 2012 05:54AM

Marc,
The Berkley SS guides do have a metal ring in both their black and silver frames. i use them a LOT on ice rods because you can get different sized, larger rings but the guide feet are a lot narrower than most guide feet which makes wrapping them on the micro ice rod blanks much easier than any other spin guide.
Buzz

Date: October 28, 2012 08:45AM

Thanks Buzz - I may order some for a look.

Thanks - Marc

Posted by: Greg Marshall (96.126.193.---)
Date: October 29, 2012 04:37PM

Marc,
I've purchased some of the SS304s from Netcraft to repair many Berkeley Lightning Rods that have been brought to my shop because the tip and/or the first guide back had grooves in them and caused the line to fray. I've even replaced some of the ones I replaced for the same reason. It's happened with braid and without. I bought the SS304s because they looked exactly like the OEM guides on the rod. From watching this board, other builders claim that Minima guides "won't groove" like that no matter what line. So, my guess is that the Berkeley SS304s are not Minimas but rather a knockoff of something like them. Compare what you pay for the SS304 to what the MSRP of the Minima is and consider that.
greg

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2012 07:02PM

Greg,
I agree that your statement makes sense.
Because, I also have seen som eof the SS304s groove.
But, I have done many rods with Pac Bay Minima guides and have never seen grooving on any of the rod after heavy use.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster