I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie with some questions
Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: October 26, 2012 04:48PM

Hey Y'all,

Just signed up a few days ago, brand new to rod building. In fact, i'm working on my first rod, and i think things are going pretty well. It's a 6'6" solid fiberglass casting rod that will be used for live bait for bull reds. I'm using cork grips with a long fore grip, and i got those reamed out (that took a while by hand) and glued on along with the reel seat (Fuji). I've got the tip top glued in place and the guides spaced and placed with masking tape. I'm using Pac Bay BRBHG Turbo guides and matching tip. First question is this - how big a difference will it make if the first guide is a 16 rather than the recommended 20? The 20 in that model is huge and looks out of place. So it's either a 20, a 16, and 4x12's or a 16 and 5x12's. What do y'all think?

Second question is about thread size. I'm going with A for the under wraps on the guides and D for the over wraps. I believe i understand that a general rule of thumb is A for freshwater and B for saltwater, but what about for the butt wrap? I'm going to try an underwrap of nylon with a chevron of contrasting nylon and metallic. What sizes should i use for those wraps?

I'll post up pics of the finished product, however good or bad it looks. Oh, i posted this same question on another board, but i haven't hung out here long enough to figure out how many folks frequent both sites. My apologies if you're reading this a second time.

Thanks,
kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie with some questions
Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: October 26, 2012 05:05PM

That difference in guide size will not amount to much difference but as you learn more about custom building you will learn to disregard what you think looks right, based on years of seeing factory rods, and putting on components that are actually right based on the job they have to do.

You can use A thread on nearly anything outside of the largest saltwater rods. A solid glass blank does NOT need underwraps at all. But it's heavy enough that if you do add you aren't hurting anything. For easy, use A on bottom and D on top. But as you get better, you may dump underwraps altogether or learn to use A over A. On butt wraps A will tend to blend in and look smooth while D will still look like thread. For the underwrap I would definitely use A.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.129.---)
Date: October 26, 2012 05:21PM

Hi Kevin,
Welcome to the wonderful world of rodbuilding, be prepared to become addicted. I'll second Ken's comments and add that I use "a" over "a" for everything, even heavy saltwater rods. A coat of cp on the underwrap will help for packing and keeping the overbind out of the grooves. Definitely use "a" for your butt wrap as it will look a lot better than"d"
Good luck on your first build.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 26, 2012 05:36PM

A just takes longer to wrap completely - Thinner

I don't think D looks that bad You already have a solid glass blank HEAVY AS IT IS SOLID
if you can try a Composite Lighter

Take a scrap blank wrap a guide with both make up your own mind

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2012 09:06PM

The size for your butt (first) guide would depend on how high the reel spool sits but I would bet the #16 will work fine instead of the #20.
The ring height is far more important than the ring diameter.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.53.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 08:02PM

Hi Kevin ,

Welcome to the world of Rod Building, .If you are not Addicted to it yet you soon will be. This is the best site to get you'r info.or you'r fix when you get in bind. I to am a beginner (at it about 1 1/2 yrs . ).Check out RodMaker Magazine, Look to the left margin of this page,for web page The mag.is gold , worth every dime they ask for a subscription.

Get an old rod , strip it clean,take 2 spools 1 A and one D ,play with wrapping when you mess up you can roll the thread back and try again until you learn to do it right.,that's how I learned to make a double spiral wrap over a under wrap E thread. took me about 4 hrs. now I can do one in about 1 hr. I do love this art .good wraps.

Richard Curry

Maysville GA.

What is life without fishing ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster