I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reshaping Installed Cork Grips
Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (198.182.55.---)
Date: October 26, 2012 10:36AM

What is the best way to reshape a grip that is already installed. Perhaps thinning down a spey rod grip. I wondering how you get enough grip on the rod without damaging it.

Thanks,
Quinn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reshaping Installed Cork Grips
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2012 11:27AM

Quinn,
Whenever I need to do that, I will remove the butt cap of the rod.
I then insert a solid piece of tapered blank material up the butt of the rod to hold the rod on the lathe.
Then, I put the rod on my full length rod lathe to be able to spin the rod.
Before turning on the rod, I will take similar sized guides; and tape them on the opposite side of the blanks to keep the blank balanced. When starting the lathe, I am very cautious to be sure that the rod is well enough balanced to avoid shaking itself apart.

Of course, any where that I have a rod rest located on the rod, I put a about three layers of masking tape to protect the blank from being marked while the rod is spinning.

Then, once I have the rod up to speed, I simply use various grades of sand paper to shape the rod as needed. By the way, if the rod is a multi piece rod, you only have to work on the butt section which means much less rod to balance on the lathe.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 26, 2012 05:02PM

if a one piece 6 - 7 ft rod make sure you have at least THREE stands to hold it More is a lot better
be careful of the tip I had one - whip - in a large circle and almost had a hart attack when it came off the rollers Did not want to build another rod for at least $150 in parts

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 26, 2012 11:16PM

Bill,
X10 on the rod rests.
For a finished rod with guides on it, I like to have at least 5 rod rests on a 7a foot rod. The guides tend to make the rod out of balance when spinning. Even if you tape on similar guides on the opposite side of the blank, the blank typically needs lots of support to keep it from whipping and destroying itself.

I have only had the misfortune to destroy one rod. It was a brand new rod that I had just finished for a client. The client wanted the handle just a bit smaller. I didn't use enough rod rests, and my hand slipped off the lathe power switch when I was starting the lathe. The rod went into harmonic destructive vibration and the new rod destroyed itself in about 3 1/2 seconds from the time that I flipped on the switch. So, this is why your comments are right on, and if you have a variable speed lathe, so much the better to be able to start the lathe slowly to check the balance of the rod.

Good luck
Roger

Date: October 27, 2012 03:02AM

Quinn,
By the way, if you have any questions on a full length rod lathe let me know.
I can show you a very simple system to make a very good inexpensive full length rod lathe.

Take care
Roger

hflier@comcast.net

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 09:55AM

The only time I use my rod wrapper to turn cork is for this task. Final sizing of the grip can be easily done on a power wrapper. Just chuck it up, adjust the supports and off you go. I place the shop vac under the grip to catch the dust, but other than that, works very well.

Terry

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 01:59PM

Quin,
Obviously you have a male ferrule if it is a Spey rod.

Give me a PM or email and I will describe how to do it with zero chance of damaging rod.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster