I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hydro dipper
Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.119.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: October 23, 2012 05:01AM

Hi,

Has anyone built thier own hydro dipping bath? It doesn't look difficult just wondering if anyone has any knowledge to share?

Cheers
Mark
Old Bar NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hydro dipper
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2012 07:22AM

RodMaker had all the details for hydro dipping about two years ago. I'd have to look up the issue to get the exact one. The thing is, you don't need anything special in terms of a tank for simple dipping of rod blanks and/or components. No doubt it'd be nice to have a dedicated tank for the process, but unless you're going to be doing this on a large and frequent scale, such a tank isn't required.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 23, 2012 07:39AM

Hi Mark,
I have that issue and I'll bring it to the SEARBS meet. A good way to get all those issues is the cd's that are available. Ian Miller has got the first one and when Tom releases volumes 10 - 15 shorly he should have those a couple of months after release. You won't be dissappointed with the cd's as they are a copy of the mag just an electronic version and great value for money even over here.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2012 07:53AM

you can use a dishpan or wallpaper pan found at home depot. you can use just about anything that will hold water and allow you to accomodate the item you are dipping.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2012 08:30AM

Hello, can anyone tell me what Hydro Dipping is? and what is the use for it on a rod, or whatever it is used for? Thank you.

Posted by: Allan Armacost (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2012 08:45AM

Hydro dipping is what they use to camo rifles and shotgun stocks and barrels for hunting, it kind of reminds me of a giant waterslide decal. The film floats on the surface of the water and as you submerge the item you want "painted" the film adheres to the surface. I vaguely remember the article but I think they showed dipping a blank as well as a reel seat. Google it and you will get all kinds of info, even places that will dip items for you.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: October 23, 2012 09:19AM

Hello Mark.

I tried it once, and did not like it, nothing wrong with it but I deal mostly with big rods (30lb and up) and most big rod owners are not into that sort of thing plus it usualy takes 2 people to do a big rod unless you come up with a special set-up I used some PVC gutter drains with end caps on them with roller stands glued inside the drains laid the rod on the stands filled the water up-to a little over half way over the rod, took the rod out laid in the film(or whatever you call it now) and with slow and steady speed rotated set on stand, changed water quickly and re-dipped too clean extra off.

Good Luck.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2012 11:20AM

But what is it? I am thinking it is just a bucket of paint that you dip part of your rod in, can anybody clearify this for me? Thank you.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: October 23, 2012 12:12PM

Hello Lorenzo.

It's in RodMaker 14-1 pg.22.

Basically it's a way of covering a rod or whatever with a pattern, kind of like a waterslide sticker but a little different. it can get more involved explaining it than doing it.

There are a lot--lot of variables involved (size-shape-bla-bla-bla).

John Timberlake did a seminar on it either last year or the year before last.

Good Luck.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 23, 2012 06:47PM

Do a youtube search on Hydro printing and you will get tons of detailed videos

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.062.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: October 23, 2012 07:25PM

Thanks guys appreciated. I just want to carbon print to tops of some seats I'm working on, the curved bit on the amtak comfort grips and the main body is airbrushed with house of colour candys with pearl base, they should look pretty nice if I can get the process down. I have been using Matagi stuff latley and now I have caught the bug and wish to produce seats myself if I can get anywhere near our japanese friends I'll be a happy camper.

Regards
Mark

Posted by: Pierre SOUPLET (---.w2-11.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: November 13, 2012 07:59PM

Hello everybody,
I come back with this thread because as I want to try hydro dipping decal to coat a blank before wrapping it, I've done some inquiries on the web.
For those who have done this kind of coating yet, I have some questions.
Is the water T° important?
What about the quantity of "activator" you must spray on the film to dissolve the carrier?
Is the use of "primer" is necessary?
When the decal is dry, could it be coated with permagloss?
I know that there is an article on RM about this, but I've not suscribe yet, and in France, it's quite difficult.
Anyway, thank you for helping.
Pierre

"Il ne faut pas sous-estimer le courage des Catalans,ce sont eux qui ont découvert que les escargots sont comestibles"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster