I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fixing finish coat.
Posted by: Teague Parker (98.125.151.---)
Date: October 22, 2012 06:22PM

While my finish epoxy was drying on the dryer some little fingers found their way onto the butt section of my build and left their little marks. Before I touch it up with 320 and give it another top coat, I thought I would check in with you guys to see if you had some better suggestions. I don't want to mess this up and need to keep in clear. It's a special gift with feather inlay and inscription. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fixing finish coat.
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 22, 2012 06:43PM

Hi Teague,
That will work but might an idea to finish with a bit finer paper, 400. Make sure you knock off any high spots.
Did the little fingers learn any lessons?? Must have been fun getting the finish off them.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2012 07:19PM

You know, if the rod is for a family member that knows the little finger guy, you might just want to leave the finger prints on the rod as a memento.

Roger

Date: October 22, 2012 07:21PM

Col

Thanks. It's all good. No children were harmed in the making of this rod. :)

Date: October 22, 2012 07:26PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know, if the rod is for a family member that
> knows the little finger guy, you might just want
> to leave the finger prints on the rod as a
> memento.
>
> Roger

Roger,

I'm loving the concept of grand kids fingerprint (or toe print) inlay on a rod for my son. Another good excuse to build a rod. Thanks.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2012 09:27PM

I was once making a rod for myself and some how the imprint of my dog's nose appeared on the butt wrap! I left it there as a reminder that I needed to dry my rods at a higher level off the floor! Fun!!

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2012 08:31AM

I would let the finish cure, use either 320 or 400 grit. Any really fine sandpaper or the disposable nail files will work. As you probably know the object is to tread lightly so you don't get into what is under the finish.
Couple of years ago one of my cats walked along the rod dryer, got some hair into a couple of the tacky wraps. It wasn't all of them so I just pulled out the hair, let the finish cure and then lightly sanded the bad areas and put another coat of finish on. Looks like nothing happened.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.134.---)
Date: October 23, 2012 06:12PM

Never thought of the fingerprint idea. I think it has possibilities, especially for rods for offspring and grandkids. My father was one to use a vibrator tool on all his reels, and as I encounter his signature on the reels, it gives me a really warm feeling. A fingerprint? Yes, it is a great idea. Pennicillin was discovered by accident, too.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.134.---)
Date: October 23, 2012 06:14PM

Just thought of something else, putting a fingerprint on the lower side of a blank or ramp identifies the rod very well. Would a thief ever think of getting rid of the print? Not likely.

Posted by: Matthew Nelson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 23, 2012 10:09PM

I have covered up a finger print or two buy just letting the epoxy harden and cover with another coat. Totally disapeared for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster